RE: [fhctech] FamilySearch for DOS

  • Gary Tarbet
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 11, 2002
      Kerry,

      We also have an 1100 networked and printing from all workstations with
      all applications, including DOS applications. First, when you created
      the printer on the workstation did you check the box that stated to have
      the printer be able to print to DOS applications? That must be checked
      for the DOS apps to print. Second, the one problem we have with Family
      Search is you must exit the application to have the printouts print to
      the printer. They are stored in the print queue but don't come out
      until you exit Family Search. Then they all come out. That is just a
      "feature" of printing to a DOS application from Windows. There is a
      $100 program out there to fix the problem but we just live with it.
      Don't remember the product name but it was in an earlier posting to this
      group. Maybe someone remembers. Hope this helps.

      GaryT
      Ashburn VA

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 11, 2002
        Thanks Gary. I forgot about that, just thinking it was old enough not to
        have that problem.

        Carlos ...

        > Most of the Canon printers are Windows only printers. They do not put
        > in the code to support printing from DOS apps. Have three Canon ink
        > jets on a shelf in the FHC. Of no use to us. Had to get lasers to
        > support printing from DOS.
        >
        > GaryT
        > Ashburn VA

      • Lee
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 11, 2002
          Gary,

          We have not experienced any problem printing from FamilySearch to a
          networked HP LJ6p on W98se or WXP. The print delay is about 15 seconds on
          W98 and 25 seconds on WXP.

          Initially we experienced a 60 second print delay in FS. I shortened it by
          adding the following lines after the [386enh] section in the system.ini
          file on the W98 clients:

          [Network]
          PrintBufTime=10
          [IFSMGR]
          PrintBufTime=10

          ref:
          <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q140036>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q140036

          HTH,

          Lee

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 12, 2002
            Thanks. Will give it a try.

            Gary

            We have not experienced any problem printing from FamilySearch to a
            networked HP LJ6p on W98se or WXP. The print delay is about 15 seconds
            on
            W98 and 25 seconds on WXP.

            Initially we experienced a 60 second print delay in FS. I shortened it
            by
            adding the following lines after the [386enh] section in the system.ini
            file on the W98 clients:

            [Network]
            PrintBufTime=10
            [IFSMGR]
            PrintBufTime=10

            ref:
            <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q140036>http://
            support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q140036

            HTH,

            Lee

            > Second, the one problem we have with Family
            >Search is you must exit the application to have the printouts print to
            >the printer. They are stored in the print queue but don't come out
            >until you exit Family Search. Then they all come out. That is just a
            >"feature" of printing to a DOS application from Windows. There is a
            >$100 program out there to fix the problem but we just live with it.

            Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • davidjejr
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 12, 2002
              I just set up a win2k machine and experience the same problem with FS
              not printing to the laser on the network that is tied to another
              computer. In an older note here on this news group posted by Gary
              T., he suggested using the NET USE command and I tried it last night
              and it seemed to work.

              You go down to a dos prompt - To get to a DOS prompt in win2k look
              for the start menu option for "Command Prompt".

              Once you have the dos prompt - type in Net Use and you will get a
              listing of whats hooked to the network. Make sure the computer that
              has the printer is listed and note the name of it.

              Then type the command -

              net use lpt1 \\computername\printername /persistent:yes

              If the computer name has a space in it then you must type it this way
              with quotes -

              net use lpt1 "\\computer name"\printername /persistent:yes

              If it all worked right, you should not get any error messages and
              typing Net Use again will show the printer listed.

              You can use dos's HELP commands to get more info on Net Use

              Once I did this FS printing worked for me though there was about a 60
              second delay before it popped out. I'll look into that next.