RE: [fhctech] Re: FIS on linux

  • Gary Tarbet
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
      If you want a security hole it is spelled MIC(Stands for Mickey what's
      his name)ROSOFT. There is nothing more porous than a Microsoft network.
      There is a reason that 70+% of all websites run under LINUX and most of
      the others are on Sun Solaris. Only those who don't care or don't know
      would run a website under a Microsoft product. We all need to be
      security aware. We also need to follow church guidelines. We also need
      to tap all of the fantastic talent in this group to find new and better
      ways of setting up and running our networks to support our customers.

      I was "given" a young man who has a medical condition that precludes him
      from going on a mission. He was assigned to the FHC by the stake
      president. You all know the type, has a computer network in his
      bedroom, built computers for quite a while... La, la la. I went over to
      meet with him about a week after he started and watched him reboot the
      server four times in a matter of 3 minutes because the workstations
      weren't attaching. No troubleshooting just slam and jam. Too many
      people think they know networking and try to "help" you with the systems
      management functions on Microsoft networks. Linux would definitely slow
      a lot of them down. I for one am seriously thinking about moving our
      network to Linux just to keep the pretenders at bay. With Linux I could
      set up a security system that would allow me to differentiate types of
      users and provide protection for those things I don't want them to
      touch.

      Oh well, will get off my soapbox. Been a tough week for us so a little
      sensitive to this area. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

      GaryT