RE: [fhctech] XML project

  • Peter Yorke
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2000
      I'm not plugged in to the "computational genealogistics" (I made that up) community so I didn't realize that I was covering old ground. But I get really tired of the Powers-That-Be eschewing emerging technologies. And I have absolutely no confidence in the 'experts' the Church uses. After all, look what grief we have just installing FS!

      Anyway, I'm prepared to fiddle around enough with some GEDCOM/XML conversion code to prove them wrong...

      (Remember folks, GEDCOM itself is nothing more than a two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional database.)
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2000
        If I've missed something, please forgive me. What is the XML project?
        thanks, Penny Seacord, Bowie Maryland
      • Pete Yorke
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2000
          Penny,

          XML is kinda like HTML gone wild. HTML is the language it takes to make a web page. XML can be used to represent ANY data.

          --Original Message Text---

          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2000
            More correctly:

            HTML puts the info on a page.

            XML gives ASSOCIATION to the data being displayed.

            An example would be:

            Search for "Playground" and "Toys" under strictly HTML type of
            environment and you'll run the gamut from childrens toys to
            accoutraments of sexual pleasure. Probably not what you had in
            mind.

            Under XML environment (if widely accepted, a matter of when, really)
            You can tie the two together, and get a MUCH more specific hit on
            playground toys for your kids to play with, along with prices that
            would be shown, as opposed to perhaps fluffy sales pieces, etc.

            Hope that helps. My example isn't the best.

            Justin

            Verily, Pete Yorke did write:
            | Penny,
            |
            | XML is kinda like HTML gone wild. HTML is the language it takes to make
            | a web page. XML can be used to represent ANY data.
            |
            | --Original Message Text---
            | From: Penny Seacord
            | Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 22:02:34 -0400
            |
            | If I've missed something, please forgive me. What is the XML project?
            | thanks, Penny Seacord, Bowie Maryland
            |
            | Home Page:
            | http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~fhcnet/fhctech/
            | Searchable Archive:
            | http://www.mail-archive.com/fhctech%40onelist.com/
            | Community email addresses:
            | Post message: fhctech@onelist.com
            | Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@onelist.com
            | Shortcut URL to this page:
            | http://www.onelist.com/community/fhctech

            Justin Masters (Sr. Cad Engineer - Design Automation) PH: 916-356-6735
            Intel Corp. FM5-94 FAX: 916 356-7874
            1900 Prairie City Rd, Folsom, CA 95630 jmasters@...
          • Peter Yorke
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2000
              Justin,

              Thank you for that much better explanation!
              XML gives ASSOCIATION to the data being displayed.

              An example would be:

              Search for "Playground" and "Toys" under strictly HTML type of
              environment and you'll run the gamut from childrens toys to
              accoutraments of sexual pleasure.  Probably not what you had in
              mind.

              Under XML environment (if widely accepted, a matter of when, really)
              You can tie the two together, and get a MUCH more specific hit on
              playground toys for your kids to play with, along with prices that
              would be shown, as opposed to perhaps fluffy sales pieces, etc.

              Hope that helps.  My example isn't the best.

              Justin

              Verily, Pete Yorke did write:
              | Penny,
              |
              | XML is kinda like HTML gone wild. HTML is the language it takes to make
              | a web page. XML can be used to represent ANY data.
              |
              | --Original Message Text---
              | From: Penny Seacord
              | Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 22:02:34 -0400
              |
              | If I've missed something, please forgive me.  What is the XML project?
              | thanks, Penny Seacord, Bowie Maryland
              |
              | Home Page:
              |   http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~fhcnet/fhctech/
              | Searchable Archive:
              |   http://www.mail-archive.com/fhctech%40onelist.com/
              | Community email addresses:
              |   Post message: fhctech@onelist.com
              |   Subscribe:    fhctech-subscribe@onelist.com
              | Shortcut URL to this page:
              |   http://www.onelist.com/community/fhctech

                 Justin Masters   (Sr. Cad Engineer - Design Automation)  PH: 916-356-6735
                 Intel Corp. FM5-94                                      FAX: 916 356-7874
                 1900 Prairie City Rd, Folsom, CA 95630          jmasters@...

              Home Page:
                http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~fhcnet/fhctech/
              Searchable Archive: