Yahoo group changes

  • g2j4m3jg
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
      I received this email via another group to which I subscribe. I made
      the edits as suggested and my options were all "Yes."

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
        I know that there is a common rumor that Yahoo made the changes. However, I took
        a slightly different route, especially since I am actively fighting spam in any
        form. I wrote to abuse@... and indicated that it appears that someone has
        hacked into their site and changed all my settings. I asked that they
        investigate and take care of the matter and suggested that they provide all
        their accounts with information and a simple link to their settings so they
        could check them. We'll have to see what response is forthcoming.

        Frankly, if Yahoo is at fault (and there is no real reason not to suspect them,
        other than naivete), then they are violating basic business ethics in changing
        everyone's account information. There are no laws regarding their action, so
        they are safe there, but the practice is considered to be "net abuse" for which
        all of us pay. But that is an entirely off-topic issue. If anyone wants more
        info, you are welcome to e-mail me and I'll provide some links for you to
        follow.

        Tom Huber
        tnh@...
        Crystal Lake, IL FHC

        On Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:05:13 -0000, "g2j4m3jg" <jgillen@...> wrote:

        >I received this email via another group to which I subscribe. I made
        >the edits as suggested and my options were all "Yes."

      • Justin Masters - FMEC
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
          I've seen it reported in at least two newspapers that Yahoo had
          PROACTIVELY switched people from an opt-in system to an opt-out
          system.

          Justin

          Verily, Tom Huber did write:
          | I know that there is a common rumor that Yahoo made the changes. However, I took
          | a slightly different route, especially since I am actively fighting spam in any
          | form. I wrote to abuse@... and indicated that it appears that someone has
          | hacked into their site and changed all my settings. I asked that they
          | investigate and take care of the matter and suggested that they provide all
          | their accounts with information and a simple link to their settings so they
          | could check them. We'll have to see what response is forthcoming.
          |
          | Frankly, if Yahoo is at fault (and there is no real reason not to suspect them,
          | other than naivete), then they are violating basic business ethics in changing
          | everyone's account information. There are no laws regarding their action, so
          | they are safe there, but the practice is considered to be "net abuse" for which
          | all of us pay. But that is an entirely off-topic issue. If anyone wants more
          | info, you are welcome to e-mail me and I'll provide some links for you to
          | follow.
          |
          | Tom Huber
          | tnh@...
          | Crystal Lake, IL FHC
          |
          | On Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:05:13 -0000, "g2j4m3jg" <jgillen@...> wrote:
          |
          | >I received this email via another group to which I subscribe. I made
          | >the edits as suggested and my options were all "Yes."

          Justin Masters (Systems Programmer) PH: 916 356-6735
          Intel Corp. FM6-17 FAX: 916 377-2288
          1900 Prairie City Rd, Folsom, CA 95630 jmasters@...
        • Tom Huber
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
            On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 07:10:23 -0800 (PST), Justin Masters - FMEC
            <jmasters@...> wrote:

            >I've seen it reported in at least two newspapers that Yahoo had
            >PROACTIVELY switched people from an opt-in system to an opt-out
            >system.

            I'm in hopes that my approach will make a difference. The reason I said it was
            "rumored" is because I'm not ready to actually accuse them of this unethical
            practice. Besides, I want to see what they report back, if they do.

            Tom
          • helpdeskdan
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
              Truth be told, I don't trust anybody. My listed addr. is an iname
              address and I check it once a week or so. I suspect it will
              eventually get spammed. When it does, I'll create a new one. I
              only give out my good pop3 e-mail address to friends.

              As for the "switcharoo" on the junk mail, this seems common
              practice. I have registered many places and, despite carefull
              unclicking of boxes, I inevitably find myself going back and
              unclicking boxes I know I unclicked. Granted, I expect(ed) better
              from yahoo.

              By the way, while I am wasting space on the listserve, I do have a
              question. This listserve is for FHC. Is there a seperate one
              where I can ask question concerning MIS, FIS, and all that?

              Thanks,
              -Dan

              --- In fhctech@y..., "g2j4m3jg" <jgillen@s...> wrote:
              > I received this email via another group to which I subscribe. I
              made
              > the edits as suggested and my options were all "Yes."

            • Dana A. Repouille
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
                From: "helpdeskdan" <dan.schmidt@...>

                > unclicking boxes I know I unclicked. Granted, I expect(ed) better
                > from yahoo.

                Why would you expect anything from a totally free service?

                > By the way, while I am wasting space on the listserve, I do have a
                > question. This listserve is for FHC. Is there a seperate one
                > where I can ask question concerning MIS, FIS, and all that?

                LDSClerks
                See list info at: http://www.MormonsToday.com/ldsclerks/
                Send commands in the body of a message to majordomo@...
                To join: subscribe ldsclerks
                To leave: unsubscribe ldsclerks
                To join digest: subscribe ldsclerks-digest

                Dana