RE: [fhctech] Re: FS with CD data on the local hard drive

  • Rick Klemetson
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5, 2002

      When you look at the mapped drives, it should look like you are looking at the cdroms. For example, all the files in the Ancestral File (AF) are located in the root directory. In the IGI and ADD there will be some files in the root, but the majority are under the country directory, like af, as, bi, ca, ce, cx, etc

      If this does not work, look in the \pas\igi\regions.tbl and \pas\igi\regions.add

      The drive letter for each CD must be on the line like this one for IGI on drive J:

      BRA COR IGINA_01 Disc 1               NA_DATA.001 NA_SUR_IDX_002 NA_PAR_IDX_002 J:                      @

      Rick Klemetson

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 6, 2002
        Let me expand slightly on my comment about the use of FamilySearch outside of centers.   There are always exceptions to every rule.

        If your intent is to teach classes on using FamilySearch, having FamilySearch on a laptop is OK.  Technically, you should not provide FamilySearch access to homes and other institutions.

        Our contract with the Scottish archives specifies that the Scottish Church Records will not be used for research outside the center.  If you have a compelling reason to provide FamilySearch access outside the center, the Scottish Church Records should not be included.

        Steve

        >>> gtempleman1@... 03/03/02 03:19PM >>>
        You do want to be careful.  I could be wrong but I believe the license
        for FamilySearch is for use in Family History Centers and only on Church
        owned computers, which are not to be removed from the building.

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 6, 2002
          Steve
          We have a local library (San Francisco Sutro Library) that has at least the
          IGI (no temple data) and AF. Would this be an exception ? I have always
          wondered how they got a copy of the IGI/AF. I assume the church had some
          sort of agreement with certain libraries and institutions would that be true
          ? If so it sounds like having the Scottish records should not be there.
          We also had a program here that was supposedly approved by SLC that allowed
          the missionaries to take a copy of all of the CD's (including Scottish) to
          flea markets and use them for referrals. I never thought to check to find
          out if they could only have certain portions. Not sure what to do about it
          at this point. I do not think they used the Scottish records seems they only
          used the IGI and AF.

          Just Curious
          Phil

        • Steve Fox
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 7, 2002
            We have set up "centers" in selected public libraries.  Sutro may be one of them.  The missionary department does coordinate with Family History in proselyting using FamilySearch, but I don't know the details.

            Steve

            >>> phil_jeffrey28@... 03/06/02 10:33PM >>>

            <FoxSJ@...>
            >To:
            gtempleman1@..., fhctech@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [fhctech] FS
            with CD data on the local hard drive
            >Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 08:43:51
            -0700

            >Let me expand slightly on my comment about the use of
            FamilySearch outside
            >of centers.   There are always exceptions
            to every rule.

            >If your intent is to teach classes on using
            FamilySearch, having
            >FamilySearch on a laptop is OK.  Technically,
            you should not provide
            >FamilySearch access to homes and other
            institutions.

            >Our contract with the Scottish archives specifies
            that the Scottish Church
            >Records will not be used for research outside
            the center.  If you have a
            >compelling reason to provide
            FamilySearch access outside the center, the
            >Scottish Church Records
            should not be included.

            -----

            Groups