PCs that won't run Family Search

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2002
      *************** Rick P asked me to forward this message to the list
      **********************

      I have posted several items on here about PCs that will not run Family
      Search. This is an update

      A number of modern PCs will not run Family Search under any operating system
      failing with an error indicating no EMS memory. It is particularly prevalent
      when running under ME, 2000 or XP. I originally thought this was due to the
      motherboard manufacturers no longer supporting the LIM interrupts but this
      may not be the case.

      The recommendation is to load EMM386 by a line in Config.sys such as

      Device=EMM386.EXE 1024 RAM

      This fails with a message "Cannot create a Base Page Frame Address" This
      occurs because a minimum of 64kB or RAM must be available in the Upper
      Memory Area and typically it is not. Windows ME, 2000 and XP do not support
      real mode drivers and make no use of Config.sys. In these OS's the
      recommendation is to include a line

      EMM=RAM

      In Config.NT and to set the EMS memory to 1024 in the PIF for PAS.EXE. This
      also fails with a similar message if you are lucky

      Running a DOS program under Windows utilizes a 16bit Virtual Machine (VDM)
      and the problem can best be explained by calling the Command Prompt from
      Start-Programs-Accessories

      Then run MEM /C

      This will list the programs which run in the bottom 640KB memory and the
      Upper Memory Area between 640KB and 1MB

      These include
      MSDOS
      COMMAND
      KBD
      KB16
      HIMEM

      And in the upper memory area
      SYSTEM
      REDIR
      MSCDEXNT
      MOUSE
      DOSX

      The computer will attempt to load as many of these into the UMA as it has
      space for and is permitted to.

      If this process leaves 64KB left in UMA then EMM386 will load with the RAM
      switch. If not then EMM may still load without the RAM switch ie delete the
      EMM=RAM line. If it also leaves 593KB free in the main memory below 640KB
      then FamilySearch will load. However I have four machines with SYSTEM taking
      up 196K, 208K, 234k and 243k respectively/ The first will run, the last
      three will not. As System grows there is no longer space to load DOSX in the
      UMA and it is placed in the conventional memory. Then Family Search will not
      run.

      If anybody knows how to influence the size of SYSTEM it could help us all.
      The machines are not significantly different and they have defalt
      installations of the OS

      Note: you may have to look at command prompt BEFORE you attempt to load
      Family Search since the display differs once it has been loaded.

      At the moment my rule of thumb is that if DOSX will not load high then FS
      will not run - so don't buy the PC!

      Rick P
    • Ronald W. Frye
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
        Lee wrote:

        > *************** Rick P asked me to forward this message to the list
        > **********************
        >
        > I have posted several items on here about PCs that will not run Family
        > Search. This is an update
        >
        > A number of modern PCs will not run Family Search under any operating system
        > failing with an error indicating no EMS memory. It is particularly prevalent
        > when running under ME, 2000 or XP. I originally thought this was due to the
        > motherboard manufacturers no longer supporting the LIM interrupts but this
        > may not be the case.

        Sounds like what we really need is a Windows version of Family Search.
        Salt Lake... can you give us an idea when Family Search will be released
        in a Windows version?

        --
        Sincerely,

        Ronald W. Frye