RE: [fhctech] BI & NA VR Index generate run-time error on W98 P-t-P ntwk

  • Louis Puster
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2000
      If it is a registry problem, then it should be possible to re-install the software from the WORKSTATION.  It may be necessary to copy the database onto the server redundantly from the workstation.  If you use an installation tracker, you can discover exactly what files and registry tags are affected so the same changes could be made at other workstations.

      Louis.

      From: Bob and Debi Rebo <rebo@...>

      Lee,

      Yes that is the common error.  The instructions say you can load it on a
      network but it does not work.  I called SLC and no matter how hard I tried
      to get through to someone who cared enough to help, I could not.  The party
      line was simply, "we do not support networks".

      I tried to explain to them that it was not a network problem, but a problem
      with the viewer program for the 1881 census.  However, the N-word kept
      coming up and I got nowhere.

      I do not know if anyone else has had any success, but it appears to be a
      registry problem.  If you or anyone else has had success using the 1881
      census over a network, please let us know.

      Bob
    • Rick P
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2000
        Process is as follows:

        On each workstation:

        Load the viewer from the CD

        Run the Resource viewer and install the first CD from each set.

        Close the viewer.

        On the Server (which may also be a workstation on a peer network:
        Substitute your own drive letter directory names as appropriate.

        Make a directory eg D:\1881

        Copy each of the CDs in turn from the CD drive F: to D:1881.

        Allow any duplicate files to overwrite.

        Using Windows Explorer, right click on directory d:\1881

        Select Properties - Sharing and set Shared as, Share Name=1881

        Set Access type to Full (This is the key point!!)

        On each workstation:

        Press Start-Run and run Regedit

        Select HKey_Local_Machine
        Select Software
        Select Family History
        Select Viewer

        In the right hand pane click on CD Drive and change the Drive letter to "Network" and press enter

        Select 1881 British Census

        In the right hand pane click on DataPath and change to file:"\\Server\1881\bi1881\" and press enter

        Repeat for 1881 British Census National Index

        Close Regedit

        Run the Resource File Viewer

        That works successfully on my networks

        Now will somebody PLEASE tell me how to stop your postings being unreadable because they try to force my EMail client to connect to the Internet. I'm running IE5 and MS Outlook in offline mode.

            RickP
      • Lee
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2000
          Thanks very much for the tip Rick!

          Setting share access to Full enabled all Folio databases, including Source Guide, to operate over the network.  Apparently Folio viewers do not work with Read-Only access.

          Lee

          Lodi Family History Center
          "Everyone belongs on a family tree"
          209-369-4148