RE: [fhctech] BI & NA VR Index generate run-time error on W98 P-t-P ntwk

  • Bob and Debi Rebo
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2000
      Lee,

      Yes that is the common error. The instructions say you can load it on a
      network but it does not work. I called SLC and no matter how hard I tried
      to get through to someone who cared enough to help, I could not. The party
      line was simply, "we do not support networks".

      I tried to explain to them that it was not a network problem, but a problem
      with the viewer program for the 1881 census. However, the N-word kept
      coming up and I got nowhere.

      I do not know if anyone else has had any success, but it appears to be a
      registry problem. If you or anyone else has had success using the 1881
      census over a network, please let us know.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2000
        If it is a registry problem, then it should be possible to re-install the software from the WORKSTATION.  It may be necessary to copy the database onto the server redundantly from the workstation.  If you use an installation tracker, you can discover exactly what files and registry tags are affected so the same changes could be made at other workstations.

        Louis.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2000
          Process is as follows:

          On each workstation:

          Load the viewer from the CD

          Run the Resource viewer and install the first CD from each set.

          Close the viewer.

          On the Server (which may also be a workstation on a peer network:
          Substitute your own drive letter directory names as appropriate.

          Make a directory eg D:\1881

          Copy each of the CDs in turn from the CD drive F: to D:1881.

          Allow any duplicate files to overwrite.

          Using Windows Explorer, right click on directory d:\1881

          Select Properties - Sharing and set Shared as, Share Name=1881

          Set Access type to Full (This is the key point!!)

          On each workstation:

          Press Start-Run and run Regedit

          Select HKey_Local_Machine
          Select Software
          Select Family History
          Select Viewer

          In the right hand pane click on CD Drive and change the Drive letter to "Network" and press enter

          Select 1881 British Census

          In the right hand pane click on DataPath and change to file:"\\Server\1881\bi1881\" and press enter

          Repeat for 1881 British Census National Index

          Close Regedit

          Run the Resource File Viewer

          That works successfully on my networks

          Now will somebody PLEASE tell me how to stop your postings being unreadable because they try to force my EMail client to connect to the Internet. I'm running IE5 and MS Outlook in offline mode.

              RickP
        • Lee
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2000
            Thanks very much for the tip Rick!

            Setting share access to Full enabled all Folio databases, including Source Guide, to operate over the network.  Apparently Folio viewers do not work with Read-Only access.

            Lee

            Lodi Family History Center
            "Everyone belongs on a family tree"
            209-369-4148