Re: [fhctech] FS and Windows XP

  • Louis Puster
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2002
      You might try making a copy of the icon for "Command Prompt",
      change the expanded memory settings for that environment, then
      install FS in there. Then modify the command prompt to run FS.
      Sorry I can't test this - I have been able to avoid XP so far.

      Louis.

      On 31 Jan 2002, at 19:14, Richard Gailey wrote:

      > There is probably a simple answer, but I can't find it...
      >
      > How do I get FamilySearch to install on Windows XP? Every time I try
      > to install it, I get the message about not having enough expanded
      > memory.
      >
      > In other MS-DOS programs, such as UDE & UDEHOME once the program is
      > installed, I can right click the program's icon, click on properties,
      > click on memory, and adjust the expanded memory if needed (which it
      > isn't for those two programs). Others have suggested changing the
      > expanded memory setting to "auto", but FS won't allow me to install
      > the program far enough to make these memory adjustments. Any
      > suggestions will be appreciated.
      >
      > Dick Gailey
      > Quartzsite Branch FHC

    • Lynn E. Mower
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
        Dick,
        Win XP and I think WIN 2000 have two versions of command.com. One is for WIN XP and the other is a DOS simulated prompt. The first one is located in c:\windows\system and the second one is found in c:\windows\system32. I was able to load FS onto an XP system using the DOS version of command .com. When I found it, I put a shortcut to it on the desktop. Then right click on the icon, click on properties, click on memory tab and set EMS to either auto or a number of 1024 or higher.
        good luck.
        Lynn

        > There is probably a simple answer, but I can't find it...
        >
        > How do I get FamilySearch to install on Windows XP? Every time I try to install it, I get the message about not having enough expanded memory.
        Any suggestions will be appreciated.

        > Dick Gailey
        > Quartzsite Branch FHC

        Win a ski trip!