Macintosh PAF 2.3.1 converting to IBM PAF

  • Brad Thurgood
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2002
      I am trying to help a user convert their data that is stored on a Macintosh
      Classic in PAF 2.3.1. They are using the GEDCOM interface and trying to
      write it out to a PC Formatted diskette. They get an error message about
      not being able to write all the data to the diskette (i.e. not enough
      space). What is the easiest way to convert data files in Macintosh PAF
      2.3.1 to the IBM platform?

      Thanks,
      Brad
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30, 2002
        Make sure the disk is freshly formatted in case there are some hidden
        files taking up space. I don't know what the capability of PAF 2.3.1 is
        in regards to spanning disks, but if it doesn't, write the gedcom file
        to the hard drive and use a file splitting utility to split it into
        segments and put the pieces on diskettes. The Mac equivalents of
        compression programs such as WinZip should reduce the gedcom file size,
        which may allow it to fit on one floppy, or they usually support writing
        the compressed file across multiple disks. Another option, if the ISP
        will support attachments of the necessary size, is to email the file to
        the computer where they want the data migrated.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/