FHLC - CD version - HD installation

  • Clyde Russell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2002
      Dear FHC Techs,

          RE: FHLC, CD version, HD installation (directory r1 from the CD is on drive C:)

          Case Study:  A patron wants to find the film number of a passenger list of a vessel arriving in NY, NY, on Aug 4, 1932.

          She searches the following path in the FHLC:

      (a) Place >
      (b) New York / New York >
      (c) New York, New York (City) >
      (e) Index to passenger lists of vessels arriving at New York, June 16, 1897- June 30, 1902 ; Index (soundex) to passenger lists of vessels arriving at New York, July 1, 1902-December 31, 1943 ; Passenger and crew lists of vessels arriving at New York

      (f) Title Details
      (g) VIEW FILM NOTES.

      The last link (g), "VIEW FILM NOTES" takes 13 to 15 minutes to load, depending on the speed of the machine: 300 MHz to 600 MHz. All machines have 256 MB of RAM and ample HD space for any swapping needed.  There are 3700 films listed in the scrolling list that "VIEW FILM NOTES" brings up.

      Can any of you tell me if you have been able to shorten this time-interval, so that it becomes practical to use the CD version of the FHLC for immigration and census records?  (And I'm still trying to coax some of our long-time staff away from the Fiche Catalog!)

      PS: If the film number (1756936) is found in a published source, and a simple FHLC verification is desired before ordering, a FILM/FICHE NUMBER search drops us into step (e) above. Links (f) and (g) take just as long as before.

      Help?
      Clyde B. Russell
      Santa Rosa CA FHC

      ---
    • Mike Fauber
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2002
        Hi,

        I tried the same thing here at home.

        The data (r1) is on one computer (very fast 1.8GH, 60GB HD, 256MB).

        FHLC is installed in my wife's computer (800MH, 10GB HD, 128MB)

        The two computers are networked together.

        I ran your example and it took 3 or 4 minutes max.

        I watched it run on my wife's computer for a couple of minutes and then walked down the hall to my den to see what kind of disk activity I had on my computer and by the time I got there it was finished.  I would have thought the network would have slowed me down some.

        Mike