Re: [fhctech] FS on Win2k

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 28, 2001
      One problem with installing FS and then upgrading is that *in general*,
      OS upgrades tend to have more problems than clean installations. It
      seems silly to have to possibly compromise the stability of a modern OS
      just to shoehorn in a DOS program. Anyone getting new hardware will
      generally receive it with the OS pre-installed, so it could mean buying
      an obsolete OS just to get through the installation of FS. If the new
      computer uses a restore disk rather than a standard Microsoft disk, the
      HD gets reformatted so that could also mean buying the newer OS on top
      of paying for it with the hardware. And of course, most new computers
      will now be shipping with XP so there is another layer of complexity.
      If a good "cookbook" of steps for handcrafting the setup could be posted
      to the web site or this list I'm sure a lot would make use of it.

      Another list that might be helpful for those looking to purchase
      hardware is the specific models others have found that support EMS. Of
      course the best solution would be an update to FS. Does anyone know if
      anything is in the works at SL? This is one of those situations where
      the Church's (normally valuable) practice of confidentiality can create
      difficulties. A statement regarding pending updates to FS would really
      help the decision making of those in the field.

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 28, 2001
        Good news,

        I finally found a competent Tech support person at Compaq.

        It turns out that both the Deskpro EN series and one model of laptop (forget what one) has a problem with expanded memory.  This is due to a bios issue running under Windows NT or 2000.

        To resolve the issue, I just had to flash the bios to rev. 3.11A.  Once I did this, Family Search had not problem starting under Windows 2000.

        I just wanted to thank all those that replied to my post and wish everyone a Happy New Year.

        If I can be of any assistance, please feel free to drop me an e-mail.

        Best Regards,

        Joe Coyle

        > There are several problems with loading Family Search on new
        computers. Some
        > of these are hardware some are software.
        >
        > 1    A number of new motherboards do not have the internal interrupts
        > enable EMS memory to be emulated. On these machines Family Search will
        not
        > run under ANY Operating System. To test for this use a Windows 98 or
        95
        > startup disk with Device=Directory/EMM386.EXE 2048 RAM in the
        Config.sys. If
        > when booting from this to the DOS prompt you get a message saying that
        > EMM386 was unable to create a base page frame, then you have one of
        these
        > machines. It is not a function of memory, processor or OS. Until Salt
        Lake
        > rewrite Family Search to not use EMS, these machines will not run it.
        >
        > 2    If you can create a page frame but on attempting to run FS you
        get a
        > message saying that EMM386 is not loaded then ensure that CONFIG.NT in
        the
        > WINNT/System32 directory has a line  EMM=RAM. Then create a shortcut
        > PAS.EXE and ensure that the EMS memory is set to Auto.
        >
        > 3    The third problem (or perhaps it's the first!) is that the
        install
        > process tests to see which OS is installed and it doesn't understand
        Windows
        > 2000 so you can't use install to setup or amend your installation. The
        best
        > way to do this is to create the installation under Windows 98 and then
        > upgrade the OS. You can do it on another machine with the same disk
        > configuration and then copy the files across. Lastly you can hand
        craft it
        > if you really know what you are doing. The files which matter are:
        >
        > MENUFILE.TXT
        > PAS.INI
        > PASETUP.TXT
        > REGIONS.TBL
        > REGIONS.ADD
        > and other ??SETUP.TXT files in the subdirectories
        > Remember too that you have to map the directories to network disk
        drives

        > Microsoft Q275423/Q269524 have some information. Some capabilities
        have been
        > removed from the software and some from the hardware. EMS is still
        available
        > on both Win 2000 and Win ME but it has to be setup differently and it
        is not
        > enabled by default. However not all motherboards now support it and I
        think
        > that trend will only continue.
        >
        > Happy New Year
        >
        > Rick P