Re: [fhctech] Re: Windows XP

  • Lynn E. Mower
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 2, 2001
      Lee, I was able to copy FS to my XP machine as you suggested and run it up to a point. I'm sure the problem is getting all the parameters set right. I know I have to modify passetup.txt and other setup.txt files but I'm not sure I know all of them.
      Right now though,I have another question.
      I went to Windows\system32\ and looked at the config.nt file. It appears that we can enable EMM to provide expanded memory. However, I can't figure out the sintax for the command. Have you got an answer for this one.
      Lynn

      Lynn,

      > As we discussed on this list last week, there are two ways to install FS on
      > an XP system.
      >
      > 1) If you have an FS installation on another system you can copy the PAS
      > directory onto XP. Some parameter modification will be necessary if the
      > system is configured differently.
      >
      > 2) Boot the system with a DOS boot disk, e.g. Ultimate Boot Disk at
      > startfiles.com, that loads a CD-ROM driver, himim.sys and an EMS driver,
      > e.g. EMM386.exe. Run the FS DOS installer, install.exe from the FS CD.
      >
      > Although we have run FS on XP for two weeks without encountering any
      > problems unique to XP it is still possible that some will be discovered.
      >
      > HTH,
      >
      > Lee

    • Lee
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 3, 2001
        Lynn,

        The configuration parameters for FS are stored in 14 files on our system:
        pas.ini, pasetup.txt, \af\plat2net.tbl, \af\plat2net.bak, \scr\regions.tbl,
        \igi\regions.tbl, \igi\regions.add, \oi\regions.tbl, \oi\regions.add,
        \ss\platter.txt, \tr\rgns1.tbl, \tr\rgns1.bak, \tr\regions.tbl, and
        \tr\regions.bak. You won't have to edit all of them however. I seem to
        recall information on editing FS configuration files being posted to this
        list, you may want to search for it.

        An alternative is to reinstall FS on an existing system to match your target
        system, copy the configuration files, and then restore the original FS
        configuration on the source machine.

        On most systems you won't need to change the default EMM configuration
        parameters by editing the config.nt file. We've set the EMS value in the FS
        PIF to Auto and haven't encountered any problems.

        HTH,

        Lee
      • Shanna Jones
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 29, 2004
          Hello,
          If I have some computers at the family history center that came with
          Windows XP, am I going to be able to get FamilySearch DOS to work using
          Pasnet? What about the pedigree resource file, family history resource
          files, etc. Are there any problems specific to Windows XP? Would I be
          better off using Windows 2000 even though I have licenses for XP, or are
          the problems the same?
          Thanks for any insight!
          Shanna Jones
          St. George, Utah
          shannajones@...
        • Bob Royer
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 29, 2004
            Shanna

            I use Windows XP exclusively and have had no problems.
            You probably will if you run PAF 2.31 or PAF 3 which come in once in a while.

            Bob Royer
            Burnsville Minnesota
            Just a little south of the Twin Cities
            If I have some computers at the family history center that came with
            Windows XP, am I going to be able to get FamilySearch DOS to work using
            Pasnet?  What about the pedigree resource file, family history resource
            files, etc.  Are there any problems specific to Windows XP?  Would I be
            better off using Windows 2000 even though I have licenses for XP, or are
            the problems the same?
            Thanks for any insight!
            Shanna Jones
            St. George, Utah
            shannajones@...

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • blhewitt7@netscape.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 29, 2004
              Shanna,
              I think the problems are going to be the same. Our center got a
              couple of XP machines that aren't cooperating with the expanded
              memory manager emulator. (I haven't had the gumption to figure out if I can
              get it to work by setting up paramters.) I rolled one of the systems
              back to Windows 2000 and still wound up with the same issues with
              the expanded memory not working. So..., if the expanded
              memory manager works (and thus FS) it will probably work in
              either XP or 2K. And, if it doesn't work in XP it probably won't
              work in 2K.

              On the subject of PRF, I can't say. Our FHC dirctor decided not
              to install PRF locally.

              Brian Hewitt
              ASC - Minneapolis, MN

              Shanna Jones <shannajones@...> wrote:

              >Hello,
              >If I have some computers at the family history center that came with
              >Windows XP, am I going to be able to get FamilySearch DOS to work using
              >Pasnet?  What about the pedigree resource file, family history resource
              >files, etc.  Are there any problems specific to Windows XP?  Would I be
              >better off using Windows 2000 even though I have licenses for XP, or are
              >the problems the same?

              Netscape. Just the Net You Need.
            • ronkaaren
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 14, 2004
                I would like to know how to install FS on a windows XP machine.
                I tried copying it from another machine but it wouldn't run.
                When we try to install the FS it says we don't have enough EMS memory
                and we haven't been able to solve that problem.
                Ron Murphy
              • Dana Repouille
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 14, 2004
                  I am creating a new Windows 2000 Pro computer in our FHC from scratch. I
                  copied the C:\PAS folder over the network from another machine, but
                  FamilySearch would not run. Then I copied C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.FS and
                  C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.FS from the other machine, and FamilySearch worked
                  great!

                  Notice that all the new Dell and hp compaq computers the Church is sending
                  to us originally came with Windows XP installed, but the Church wiped the
                  drives and installed a Windows 2000 Pro image. Oddly enough the Windows XP
                  registration key is printed on a sticker on each case, and the computers
                  come with the Windows XP installation CD.

                  I am not sure exactly what does not run correctly on XP, which forces us to
                  use 2000.

                  Dana

                  > I would like to know how to install FS on a windows XP machine.
                  > I tried copying it from another machine but it wouldn't run.
                  > When we try to install the FS it says we don't have enough EMS memory
                  > and we haven't been able to solve that problem.
                  > Ron Murphy

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Rick Klemetson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 19, 2004

                    I don’t know if you already received the answer.

                    You need to edit the properties for the icon that you create on the desktop

                    And change the memory settings to 1024 for EMS.

                    Rick Klemetson