Re: Please Help

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
      As someone I see responded, these 2 programs run independent of the
      rest in the way they are viewed and operated.

      I'm doing this from home but if I remember right here is what I did
      to make these run -

      I created a directory on the server and I copied over the data files
      from both programs into that directory. The data files are the large
      files on those CDs. I don't remember if there was some smaller files
      needed to be in the server directory, but it seems like it was mostly
      just the main data files. I think both programs have a few files in
      common.

      Set the properties on that directory so it can be shared.

      On the client, map the drive to a drive letter.

      On the client, "install" the programs. I think there were default
      settings that I just used as to where on the hard drive it was loaded
      too.

      Once the programs are installed in the client, use a text editor
      program - like wordpad or write and go to the directory of each of
      the programs and look for a "text" based file. It doesn't end
      in .txt but it was a small text file.

      Once you find that file (there isn't many to choose from - look at
      the smallest ones first), you will see in the file a line that
      directs the program to the drive letter of the CD rom drive. Change
      that line so it points to the mapped drive letter from the server and
      then resave the file. Making sure you resave with the same name, but
      in "text" format.

      That should do it if I remember all this right.

      Hope this helps - good luck.