RE: [fhctech] Computer Projectors

  • Alan Jones
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2001
      There is another technology to keep in mind, it is a small electronic thing
      that takes the computer signal and changes it into a TV signal. These
      cost about $100.  Then one can either get one or more big screen TVs
      and have the display on them OR if you have an old style LCD projector
      (which our stake does) it can take the TV format but not the computer
      format, so it takes the signal from this box and projects it like
      general conference.

      Alan Jones
      Mission Viejo, CA
      alanjones10@...
      http://members.home.com/alanjones10/
      http://alanjones.tripod.com/
      http://members.home.com/fhconsultants/

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
        Some time back (when MS-DOS was still alive and well), computer
        projection relied on a device that a person placed on an overhead
        projector and plugged into the monitor jack on the computer. It wasn't
        great, but it worked. Does anyone know if these devices are still
        available?

        Thanks!

        Dick
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • Shanna Jones
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001

          gaileyclandad1@... wrote:

          > Some time back (when MS-DOS was still alive and well), computer
          > projection relied on a device that a person placed on an overhead
          > projector and plugged into the monitor jack on the computer. It wasn't
          > great, but it worked. Does anyone know if these devices are still
          > available?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Dick
          > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

        • Mike St. Clair
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
            I don't think they are sold new, but they are readily available used,
            for example at eBay. I just saw one that is color and selling for about
            $96.

            > Some time back (when MS-DOS was still alive and well), computer
            > projection relied on a device that a person placed on an overhead
            > projector and plugged into the monitor jack on the computer. It wasn't
            > great, but it worked. Does anyone know if these devices are still
            > available?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Dick
            > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

          • phil gunn
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
              We at the MesaFHC use a Lightware Inc VP800 projector. It has served us
              well. Its primary function is for use to train Patron's and missionaries the
              various programs including Family Search, Paf5, Temple Ready etc. Because of
              it's portability we also take it with us when we are invited out into the
              various mobile home parks to teach residents how to search for their
              ancestors. We tell them who we are, show them what we have at our center,
              then extend an invitation to them to visit our center. We have a Dell laptop
              computer that goes with it when we go to the parks. It is very easy to set
              up and use. In our training room we have a computer that is hooked up to a
              server that we connect the projector to when it's is not being used outside
              the center. The cost of the projector is about $3,000.00. If you have any
              questions, please feel free to contact me.

              Phil Gunn
              Ass't Director
              Mesa Regional Family History Center
              philgunn@...