RE: [fhctech] Couple of Questions

  • Alan Jones
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2001
      See my comments below.
      Alan Jones
      Mission Viejo, CA
      alanjones10@...
      http://members.home.com/alanjones10/
      http://alanjones.tripod.com/
      http://members.home.com/fhconsultants/

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Michael Griffith [mailto:mgriffith@...]
      Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 1:08 PM
      To: FHCtech
      Subject: [fhctech] Couple of Questions
      First of all, I have noticed that the messages have slowed down, considering all that went on last week, it is no wonder.  I hope that you all are doing well and things can get back to normal.  This has been a very sad and trying time for everyone.

      Now, on to my questions.

      As you all know, the Lincoln FHC network was approved.  I am now working on gathering all the components to make this happen.  The goal is to have everything up and running over General Conference weekend.  Since this is the first network I have built, I have and will have some questions.

      1. Is Windows 98 SE a good OS to use on the server?  I also have win95 images on the 3 dells that will be stricty workstations.
          If you can get Windows NT, it is a much better OS for the server. I have not seen 98SE work well as a server, though I have
          seem some PCs with Windows 98 do a peer-to-peer network successfully.

      2. Do you instruct the FHC to leave the server running all the time, or to sut it down too?  Church guidelines indicate that all machines should be turned off when not in use at night. (something to that effect)
          We turn all of ours off.

      Do you instruct or have instructions for the FHC staff on how to and what order to startup the network machines in the mornings when they start the shift??/
          We have instructions that basically say, bring up the server completely first, then the workstations.

      3. When partitioning the HDs how much HD space is needed in each allocation so that there will be enough room for each drives contents?  I have looked at the reference for the drive partitioning and it has not made a lot of sense to me yet.  I have 2 100GB Western Digital Drives to work with, what would be the suggested method of getting these drives partitioned correctly and ready for the data?
          I think this depends on what configuration you choose to use, what you plan to install, etc. I tend to like the "bigger the better" approach.

      Thanks for your help. ...mike...

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
    • Alan Jones
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 17, 2001
        Are you accustom to direct lightening strikes in Lampoc?
        Is so, your building should have a proper ground and you
        still should not have to unplug the PCs.

        Alan Jones
        Mission Viejo, CA
        alanjones10@...
        http://members.home.com/alanjones10/
        http://alanjones.tripod.com/
        http://members.home.com/fhconsultants/

        At the Lompoc, CA FHC we not only power down all computers (including the server),
        we unplug them at every end of shift, because surge protecters cannot withstand a direct lightning strike.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 10, 2001
          Louis,
          Tell me more about extended partitions. Say I have a 20 Gig hard drive and I want to load Ancestral File data CDs onto it along with all my programs. What steps do I need to take.
          Lynn E. Mower
          Director, Layton Utah Valley View FHC

        • Butch Richardson
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 10, 2001
            Lynn;
            When we loaded all the CD's on to our PC, it took closer to 30GB's.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/