Re: Slow Workstations for 1880 Census

  • dsmounts@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2001
      I had a similar problem with the 1880 Census.

      32Mb is your biggest bottleneck on your system, but that isn't your
      problem. I'd put at least 64 on it. Right now, I can get 128MB of
      PC133 RAM for $17.00. Yes, that's $17.00. At least it was last
      tuesday when I was at BWC (www.bwcproducts.com). Also, making the HDD
      faster would speed things up, but, because the resources are over the
      network, all that would do is speed up your swap file, which adding
      the ram would be much cheaper to do. My experience with speeding up
      the Hard Drives is that it is OK for the server, but doesn't really
      speed things up too much except for large searches and a large number
      of clients simultaneously connecting. When I realized (on my home
      computer, a PIII 450 w/ 128MB) that I had a ATA 66 Controller and a
      40 pin cable, I went and purchased a 80 pin cable as fast as my feet
      could get me to the store. I timed my win2000pro startup at 75sec and
      changed out the HDD cable. Startup time went to 45sec! I don't notice
      any changes in my general perfomance, though. But, as I said, that
      isn't your problem.

      I followed the directions on the fhctech.org website exactly with one
      excection. I put the 1880 Census and 1880 Census index files in
      seperate folders. It was painfully slow. It would take a full 60 sec
      to print, and sometimes to change between the two. I merged the data
      into a single folder and changed the registry for the 1880 Census
      Index. It made everything work correctly - just as fast as the other
      Family Resouce Viewer programs.

      My server is a 333Mhz Celeron with 64MB Ram 66MHz bus, 2 40GB HDD's
      running at 33MHz. It runs great. It runs Windows 98 with 98lite
      installed and active desktop disabled. If you'd like to get 98lite,
      go to 98lite.net. there is a free download that lets you install the
      windows 95 desktop on windows 98. it makes 98 very fast! I didn't do
      that on the server, but I did disable active desktop and uninstall
      IE5. (of course, I had to reinstall IE 5.5, but it went in much
      cleaner and smaller than before.) We also use the server as a
      workstation.

      Good luck

      --- In fhctech@y..., PhilBess@a... wrote:
      ...1880 US Census...466Mhz Celeron processor, 32Mb RAM, 66MHz bus...
      it is painfully sloooow...other RF Viewer applications run just
      fine...Would a PCI 100 ATA card in the e-Machine help the
      performance, or more RAM, or ???
    • Lee
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2001
        Hello Phil,

        I apologize for the untimely response, I'm working through my email backlog
        after returning from vacation.

        The delay you've experienced is most likely the result of not having copied
        the title.cd file into the census data and/or index folders. I've posted a
        screen capture of our census directory in the Server Install section of the
        resource file viewer page at:

        http://fhctech.org/applications/fhrfviewer.htm

        HTH,

        Lee