Re: [fhctech] PAF 5 & PAS 3.0

  • Butch Richardson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2001
      Hi Steve;

      Thanks for writing back. However, the testing for the printer in the
      control panel is not checked for printing to a file or every other program
      would also print to a file. An when you select print from PAF, you have the
      option to print to a file there. But that still does not explain why when I
      seleted to print to a file from within PAF print, that it wrote a RTF file
      instead of a PRN file as it should have.

      Butch

        > This is not a PAF 5 problem. It occurs because the settings for your
        default printer are set to print to a PRN file rather than the printer. To
        fix it, go to Control Panel, Printers and change the properties for your
        default printer.

        > I recently helped my ward in Oxford setup a network for PAS 3.0 and also
        so have PAF 5.1.12 installed on the server. In running PAF5 we have run into
        an error it seems when it comes to printing. It defaults to printing to a
        PRN file instead of to the printer, an that is with "Print to File"
        unchecked. But also get a Spooler32 error. When we tried it with "Print to
        File" checked, it writes a RTF File. Something's wrong with this picture! An
        the printer is set correctly.
        > The server is running Windows ME by the way.
        > Problem 2. Some of the ward members are still using PAS 3.0, with the
        network. They can get to everything but the Ancestral Files (A), causes an
        execution error and shuts down. Believe it to be a bad CD file. Does the
        same thing when run from CD. But need to know what path is PAS looking for,
        an how to configure for options "H & I" Personal Ancestral File 2.01 & 3.0?

        Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • Michael Griffith
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
          I cannot beleive that you all do not get this.  PAF 5 is a windows program and utilizes the Windows features.  RTF formatted files can be imported into nearly any other windows program for editing and for printing.  The PRN file was used by DOS programs, as PAF use to be, to be in  a format that could be printed directly to the printer.  The PRN format is a TEXT format, not a GRAPHICAL format as the RTF is.  What this means is that the PRN was limited on the type of graphics that could be displayed and printed - mostly to dashed lines to make a seaparation in the form, such as a Family Group sheet.  The RTF format allows for more grahical content to be displayed and printed such as a crisp solid lines or boxes that are crisp and solid, and not just dashed lines that form a box.

          Hope this helps. ..mike..