Re: [fhctech] Re: ANNOUNCEMENT - NEW FHCTECH.ORG Webpage

  • Justin Masters
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
      I read Lee's comments below. May I just suggest that these other RFC
      areas just send a regular "reminder" to the list just to let us know
      that such efforts are underway? I don't always have time to remember
      to roll over to a web site, but do get my email regularly.

      Just a suggestion...

      Justin

      Verily, Lee did write:
      | following up on Rick's comments....
      |
      | The new discussion forums are intended to augement, not replace, the email
      | list. They cover a broader range of topics, e.g. there are RFC sections to
      | collaborate on the development of FHC computing standards and Wish List
      | forums for discussing additions to F&CHD applications. These ongoing
      | collaborative conversations are not well-suited to the email list.
      |
      | What criteria should you use to decide where to post? The email list will
      | remain the preferred medium for timely requests or information that is
      | intended for the broadest possible audience. Discussion posts will reach a
      | more focused audience in a less timely manner but with more permanence.
      | Until the forums become more widely utilized some cross-posting will be
      | appropriate.
      |
      | We look forward to everyone's participation in this new resource.
      |
      | Lee
      |
      | > What's the relationship between this egroup and the new web site,
      | > Rick? Are we supposed to all move over to the web site and abandon
      | > this egroup? Clarification please.
      |

      | Home Page: http://fhctech.org/
      | Community email addresses:
      | Post message: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
      | Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      | Shortcut URL to Yahoo! group page:

      Justin Masters (Systems Programmer) PH: 916 356-6735
      Intel Corp. FM6-17 FAX: 916 377-2288
      1900 Prairie City Rd, Folsom, CA 95630 jmasters@...
    • donbradbury@cix.co.uk
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2001
        Thanks, Lee. That's precisely what I wanted to know. Bit of a pain
        though, having to follow two lots of info. I agree with Justin; let's
        have a cross posting to this egroup of any major points being covered
        in the web page please. Personally, I will try to follow both, but
        some won't have the time.

        Don Bradbury
        FHC Dir, Sheffield, England
      • tnh@owc.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2001
          I second this. I spend very little time on the internet, but do check my
          e-mail regularly.

          Tom Huber
          Crystal Lake, IL FHC

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 17, 2001
            Verily, Lee did write:
            | Don, Justin, and Tom,
            |
            | Discussion forums that have new posts since your last visit are designated
            | with a green folder icon. If the posting volume increases it may be possible
            | to impliment some form of email notification. Until then however, everyone
            | interested in discussing Internet access, working to develop network and
            | system standards, and providing feedback on F&CHD applications will have to
            | visit the Forums at:
            |
            | http://fhctech.org/forums/default.asp

            Hmm... Okay. I was just kinda wondering if a weekly task could be
            created to check for new input on forums or new forums and send out a
            quick blip to the list saying something like:

            New messages/forums for this week (ending July 16, 2001)

            3 Announcements: FHC Applications
            5 General Discussion
            11 Tech News Articles

            But anyway...On to the next point.

            You mentioned a green folder option..

            I went there for the first time and saw only two green folders, and 3
            yellow folders. (Well, okay, I went there during the beta test
            period, but didn't recall seeing any forum areas...) The point is,
            does the folder feature (colors) work properly?

            | The Forums are one of the resources that made it necessary to host the site
            | on a commercial server. I'm happy to report that the first month's hosting
            | fee, $20, has been raised via Amazon Honor System contributions. Your
            | continued contributions, either through the Honor System or book and
            | equipment purchases via the Amazon links at the top of the pages will enable
            | FHCTech.org to continue in its present form.

            Well, that's the smoothest form of blackmail I've ever come across. :-)
            Kind of like an old MAD magazine (or was it Cracked?) that said, "Buy
            this magazine or (some animal or person) gets shot!"

            Justin

            | Lee
            |
            | http://fhctech.org
            |

            | > I second this. I spend very little time on the internet, but do check my
            | > e-mail regularly.
            |
            | > I agree with Justin; let's
            | > >have a cross posting to this egroup of any major points being covered
            | > >in the web page please. Personally, I will try to follow both, but
            | > >some won't have the time.
            |

            | Home Page: http://fhctech.org/
            | Community email addresses:
            | Post message: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
            | Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            | Shortcut URL to Yahoo! group page:

            Justin Masters (Systems Programmer) PH: 916 356-6735
            Intel Corp. FM6-17 FAX: 916 377-2288
            1900 Prairie City Rd, Folsom, CA 95630 jmasters@...
          • Lee
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 17, 2001