Re: ANNOUNCEMENT - NEW FHCTECH.ORG Webpage

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
      following up on Rick's comments....

      The new discussion forums are intended to augement, not replace, the email
      list. They cover a broader range of topics, e.g. there are RFC sections to
      collaborate on the development of FHC computing standards and Wish List
      forums for discussing additions to F&CHD applications. These ongoing
      collaborative conversations are not well-suited to the email list.

      What criteria should you use to decide where to post? The email list will
      remain the preferred medium for timely requests or information that is
      intended for the broadest possible audience. Discussion posts will reach a
      more focused audience in a less timely manner but with more permanence.
      Until the forums become more widely utilized some cross-posting will be
      appropriate.

      We look forward to everyone's participation in this new resource.

      Lee

      > What's the relationship between this egroup and the new web site,
      > Rick? Are we supposed to all move over to the web site and abandon
      > this egroup? Clarification please.
    • Justin Masters
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
        I read Lee's comments below. May I just suggest that these other RFC
        areas just send a regular "reminder" to the list just to let us know
        that such efforts are underway? I don't always have time to remember
        to roll over to a web site, but do get my email regularly.

        Just a suggestion...

        Justin

        Verily, Lee did write:
        | following up on Rick's comments....
        |
        | The new discussion forums are intended to augement, not replace, the email
        | list. They cover a broader range of topics, e.g. there are RFC sections to
        | collaborate on the development of FHC computing standards and Wish List
        | forums for discussing additions to F&CHD applications. These ongoing
        | collaborative conversations are not well-suited to the email list.
        |
        | What criteria should you use to decide where to post? The email list will
        | remain the preferred medium for timely requests or information that is
        | intended for the broadest possible audience. Discussion posts will reach a
        | more focused audience in a less timely manner but with more permanence.
        | Until the forums become more widely utilized some cross-posting will be
        | appropriate.
        |
        | We look forward to everyone's participation in this new resource.
        |
        | Lee
        |
        | > What's the relationship between this egroup and the new web site,
        | > Rick? Are we supposed to all move over to the web site and abandon
        | > this egroup? Clarification please.
        |

        | Home Page: http://fhctech.org/
        | Community email addresses:
        | Post message: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
        | Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        | Shortcut URL to Yahoo! group page:

        Justin Masters (Systems Programmer) PH: 916 356-6735
        Intel Corp. FM6-17 FAX: 916 377-2288
        1900 Prairie City Rd, Folsom, CA 95630 jmasters@...
      • donbradbury@cix.co.uk
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2001
          Thanks, Lee. That's precisely what I wanted to know. Bit of a pain
          though, having to follow two lots of info. I agree with Justin; let's
          have a cross posting to this egroup of any major points being covered
          in the web page please. Personally, I will try to follow both, but
          some won't have the time.

          Don Bradbury
          FHC Dir, Sheffield, England
        • tnh@owc.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11, 2001
            I second this. I spend very little time on the internet, but do check my
            e-mail regularly.

            Tom Huber
            Crystal Lake, IL FHC

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 17, 2001
              Verily, Lee did write:
              | Don, Justin, and Tom,
              |
              | Discussion forums that have new posts since your last visit are designated
              | with a green folder icon. If the posting volume increases it may be possible
              | to impliment some form of email notification. Until then however, everyone
              | interested in discussing Internet access, working to develop network and
              | system standards, and providing feedback on F&CHD applications will have to
              | visit the Forums at:
              |
              | http://fhctech.org/forums/default.asp

              Hmm... Okay. I was just kinda wondering if a weekly task could be
              created to check for new input on forums or new forums and send out a
              quick blip to the list saying something like:

              New messages/forums for this week (ending July 16, 2001)

              3 Announcements: FHC Applications
              5 General Discussion
              11 Tech News Articles

              But anyway...On to the next point.

              You mentioned a green folder option..

              I went there for the first time and saw only two green folders, and 3
              yellow folders. (Well, okay, I went there during the beta test
              period, but didn't recall seeing any forum areas...) The point is,
              does the folder feature (colors) work properly?

              | The Forums are one of the resources that made it necessary to host the site
              | on a commercial server. I'm happy to report that the first month's hosting
              | fee, $20, has been raised via Amazon Honor System contributions. Your
              | continued contributions, either through the Honor System or book and
              | equipment purchases via the Amazon links at the top of the pages will enable
              | FHCTech.org to continue in its present form.

              Well, that's the smoothest form of blackmail I've ever come across. :-)
              Kind of like an old MAD magazine (or was it Cracked?) that said, "Buy
              this magazine or (some animal or person) gets shot!"

              Justin

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 17 1:03 PM