Re: [fhctech] FHC computer maintenance

  • Adam B Jerome
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2001
      Ken,

      In my Stake, I have had a couple floppy and CDROM drives go
      bad. I assume that a contributing factor to their short
      life-span is that they are rarely been cleaned. However, I
      am quite positive that other factors (general usage) made
      larger contributions to their failure.

      Given that floppy disk drives cost around $20 to replace,
      its almost not worth the effort to clean them; especially
      if they are used frequently (causing other general wear on
      the drive).

      CDROM drives are generally $50 or so to replace, but do not
      seem to fail as often.

      I make a yearly "maintenance" visit to all the computers in
      my Stake. I have a small can of compressed air, and I give
      several components a quick blast of air to move the dust-
      bunnies around a bit. I also have a little "dust-devil"
      vac to suck the big ones out from off the CPU, etc.

      In my Stake, my yearly "maintenance" visit is sufficient.
      It depends a lot on the environment in which the computer
      is located (of course). I used to maintain about 150
      computers at BYU (Food Services, Housing, Auxiliary
      Maintenance, MTC, etc.) The worst (to maintain) were the
      computers located in the BYU Laundry Services building. I
      made a point to pay them a visit every three months. The
      first time I opened one of those cases, I found it "packed-
      full" of lint. In another, rarely maintained, computer
      system (actually located in a small business, not BYU), I
      found an entire family of mice. The buisness owner asked
      me to come take a look to see if I could figure out why
      this computer was acting up. Mouse tracks (droppings, etc)
      all over the place inside. I slid the cover back on
      without exposing the content and made a great wager (with
      the owner) that I had figured out the problem.

      Best wishes;
      -adam

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/