Re: Ancestry.com Subscriptions

  • mwallred@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2001
      Contact the good folks at ancestry.com and ask about it. IIRC, when I
      did this a year or two ago, they had a program where you would get a
      license for the whole center for something like $99 and if anyone put
      in your FHC name/number when they joined, the center got money from
      them. It seems like you made back your entire fee after just a few
      people.

      My mind may be playing tricks on me, and things may have changed
      since then. Drop them a line and ask about it.

      Marty Allred

      --- In fhctech@y..., sjniedermeyer@y... wrote:
      > Is anyone aware whether it is legal to purchase 1 Ancestry.com
      > subscription for a FHC?
    • Lee
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2001
        From the Ancestry site:

        A Standard Site License provides one year of full access to Ancestry.com for
        one user, plus a one-year subscription to Ancestry Magazine. First user:
        $399.95. Each additional user: $59.95.
        A Census-Only Site License provides one year of full access for one user, to
        all Ancestry.com census indexes and online images. First user: $399.95. Each
        additional user: $59.95.

        An Unlimited Library Site License provides one year of full access to
        Ancestry.com for one user, as well as one year of full access to all census
        indexes and images, plus a one-year subscription to Ancestry Magazine for
        each library. First user: $599.95. Each additional user: $99.95.

      • snowden@cleanusa.net
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2001
          Every six months our stake sends someone to audit our FHC. One of the
          questions is: "Do you have any unauthorized programs on your computers?" I
          don't know if Ancestry.com is considered unauthorized or not. You might
          consider that before buying any other program than what the church sends to
          us. Margo
          > A Standard Site License provides one year of full access to Ancestry.com
          for
          > one user, plus a one-year subscription to Ancestry Magazine. First user:
          > $399.95. Each additional user: $59.95.
          > A Census-Only Site License provides one year of full access for one user,
          > all Ancestry.com census indexes and online images. First user: $399.95.
          Each
          > additional user: $59.95.
          >
          > An Unlimited Library Site License provides one year of full access to
          > Ancestry.com for one user, as well as one year of full access to all
          census
          > indexes and images, plus a one-year subscription to Ancestry Magazine for
          > each library. First user: $599.95. Each additional user: $99.95.
          >

          > > Contact the good folks at ancestry.com and ask about it. IIRC, when I
          > > did this a year or two ago, they had a program where you would get a
          > > license for the whole center for something like $99 and if anyone put
          > > in your FHC name/number when they joined, the center got money from
          > > them. It seems like you made back your entire fee after just a few
          > > people.

        • Marty Allred
          Message 4 of 11 , May 7, 2001
            Ah, well, it wasn't as cheap as I remember it. Did you notice anywhere
            how much of a kickback you get when someone buys their own
            subscription?

            Marty

            --- Lee <prgraph@...> wrote:
            > From the Ancestry site:
            >
            > A Standard Site License provides one year of full access to
            > Ancestry.com for one user, plus a one-year subscription to
            > Ancestry Magazine. First user: $399.95. Each additional
            > user: $59.95.
            > A Census-Only Site License provides one year of full access
            > for one user, to all Ancestry.com census indexes and online
            > images. First user: $399.95. Each additional user: $59.95.
            >
            > An Unlimited Library Site License provides one year of full
            > access to Ancestry.com for one user, as well as one year of
            > full access to all census indexes and images, plus a one-year
            > subscription to Ancestry Magazine for each library. First
            > user: $599.95. Each additional user: $99.95.
            >
            > > Contact the good folks at ancestry.com and ask about it.
            > > IIRC, when I did this a year or two ago, they had a
            > > program where you would get a license for the whole center
            > > for something like $99 and if anyone put in your FHC
            > > name/number when they joined, the center got money from
            > > them. It seems like you made back your entire fee after just
            > > a few people.

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/
          • Marty Allred
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7, 2001
              I assumed that "unauthorized" meant "unlicensed" and not "unapproved".

              If it means unapproved, who does the approving? What amount of
              discretion do we have in choosing things to install?

              IIRC, the instructions regarding the non-solicitation of donations
              includes a comment about having a list of things that the library
              intends to buy when they get the funds and software programs is on the
              list. I suppose they could mean the church produced ones, but I've
              always felt that we should be able to put anything on the system that
              didn't violate church standards.

              Perhaps the rules are different for "official" FHC's versus the little
              genealogical libraries (our stake calls them FH Sites) in ward
              buildings.

              Marty Allred
              Hartsville, SC and/or Folsom, CA

              --- snowden@... wrote:
              > Every six months our stake sends someone to audit our FHC.
              > One of the questions is: "Do you have any unauthorized
              > programs on your computers?" I don't know if Ancestry.com
              > is considered unauthorized or not. You might consider that
              > before buying any other program than what the church sends
              > to us. Margo

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
            • Connie Bradbury
              Message 6 of 11 , May 7, 2001
                Margo:

                That question asked by the auditor is referring to programs that have been
                bootlegged. If the FHC pays for it, it is not unauthorized BUT they would
                have to have permission to have the internet and that might be the stopping
                point.

                Connie

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • snowden@cleanusa.net
                Message 7 of 11 , May 7, 2001
                  That's great because my stake leadership wants our FHC to be as up to date
                  as possible. I get great support from them. Now if I'd only have
                  understood that questiong. Oh, well! Margo
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 7, 2001
                    Thanks, Connie.
                    > That question asked by the auditor is referring to programs that have been
                    > bootlegged. If the FHC pays for it, it is not unauthorized BUT they would
                    > have to have permission to have the internet and that might be the
                    stopping
                    > point.
                    >
                    > Connie

                  • Len Ingermanson