Re: Networking problem

  • William L. Lemmon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2000
      Hi Rick,

      I am trying to network a couple of pentium computers using Win-95. I
      have all of the Family Search CD's copied into virtual disks on a 40 Gig
      disk with a single partition (Similar to the description in the document
      by Bob and Debbie Rebo). The major difference is that I am not using
      Win-98.

      I get an error message when I try to share the the virtual disks created
      by the SUBST command. Error 2116 which says that virtual disks can not
      be shared. I have tried to share virtual drives in both versions of
      Windows and get the same error message.

      Did I misread the method that the Rebo's used or what am I doing wrong?
      I have read and reread paragraph 3 in their document a number of times
      and can not make it work. Do you have any suggestions?

      Bill Lemmon, Albuquerque NM East Stake Family History Center
    • Barbara Allen
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 21, 2002
        We have encountered some problem with our network and I hope someone on the
        list has a solution. I first noticed the problem several weeks ago when two
        patrons were both trying to access the Freedman's Bank Records and it
        started asking for a CD. My son and I did a check trying to access it from
        all 4 of our computers and it would only access one and the rest gives us
        the message that you had to have a CD. He checked everything and it is set
        up according the the directions we received from the tech page. We decided
        to further check on several other programs and encountered other problems.
        When several people are using the 1880 census, the first one in gets the
        information and everything is fine but if another patron tries it takes
        forever for the program to come up to the individual search screen. Many
        times the computer freezes and the program never will come up. I had
        noticed this happening with PRF previously but I put it off as just
        something weird with PRF but now I wonder what is going on. We are running
        WIN NT 4 Workstation as our server with 2 Win 95 and 2 Win 98 as our
        clients. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        Barbara
      • Centric - Dennis Stewart
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 21, 2002
          Barbara,

          With regard to Freedman records. When you say you have installed according to directions I assume you have loaded the data to your server and mapped a drive on the client PCs to the server location. Then you have modified the  Progeny .ini file associated with the Freedman's records application.

          Client Configuration. Freedman's Bank Record data can be accessed via a mapped network drive. Access from a local drive generates a disk read error. The c:\program files\freedman\progeny.ini file has the line:

          [Progeny]
          CD = <mapped drive letter>:

          The client must have a drive mapped and marked to remember the mapping on subsequent connections. The .ini file must point to that mapped drive letter.

          When I did the install in our center we had the same problem but when I did these two things it works fine.

          Dennis Stewart

          Meridian East Stake FHC

          dstewart@...

[...]

        • Steven Niedermeyer
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 21, 2002
            We have experienced this problem at the Bellingham, WA FHC. I haven't
            taken the time to track down the problem as TempleReady was the
            priority. I did attempt reloading CD's and verifying the title.cd file
            was in the correct location according to install instructions. I've
            tried not to bug the F&CHD with the problem as I don't think they
            officially support networking these products.

[...]

            Subscribe: fhctech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Russell Houlton
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 21, 2002
              Just as a thought, how about setting the share on the server to "read only"?
              I'm wondering if the one computer is creating some kind of scratch files
              that are messing up the other stations. The other possibility is that the
              files are being "locked" for read/write access.

              If you set "read only" then the computer will have to treat the files the
              same way as on a CD. It may also solve the locking problem since there is
              no need to lock a file that won't be written to.
            • Steven Niedermeyer
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 22, 2002
                I tried sharing the data as read only on a Win2K Pro file server with
                the same assumption, that it would treat it like a CD ROM. I also tried
                it with change permissions. Then I set up a Redhat Linux server to see
                if all of those fancy file locking options would help. No-go.