Portal status on new Dell 9020 Computers

    Message 1 of 12 , May 4, 2014
      Our FHC had a number of new computers delivered this week. And BTW there
      was no message to the director to indicate they were coming, or which
      computers they were to replace.

      As per the instruction sheet, I ran the Portal Status program to setup
      the Premium Websites. It completed successfully, however it also still
      lists the following problems:

      1: The run key is not setup to use the new.Portalsvc.exe like it should
      be setup.

      2: The system is not web-filtered, which is a requirement for accessing
      the FHC Services Portal.

      Questions:

      1. What does #1 mean and how do I fix it (if necessary)?

      2. Our center IS filtered at the firewall/router level, so what does it
      mean that the *system* is not filtered and how do I fix that too?

      ~ Gary Templeman
    • James W Anderson

          Message 4 of 12 , May 4, 2014
            DNS filtering issues is the first thing I thought about.  However, I'd expect new machines to come configured for DHCP which shouldn't be an issue unless something "interesting" is going on with the network.

            If it was set up with a static IP, then perhaps the person installing it used non-approved DNS settings.

          • James W Anderson
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4, 2014
              One of two possibilities then.

              1.  The new DNS settings were only started last week according to what I was hearing at LDS Tech, so it is possible these machines were imaged before that was by and large announced.

              2.  Or it is simply possible that when they were imaged, the DNS settings were not known yet.  One way this might have happened is they were sent out before the settings were announced or finalized, and another way is that those doing the imaging had not been given the needed info.

              Message 6 of 12 , May 4, 2014
                The computers have an image from SL that come pre-configured to use DHCP, but just to see what happens, tonight I went back and manually changed the DNS servers to the configuration previously instructed - 8.34.34.92 and 8.35.35.92. I left the IP address as DHCP and re-booted. The problem message does not go away. However, the Premium Portal access works just fine even thought the message would indicate it shouldn't. I did discover that one must also run the new.Portalsvc.exe program independently when logged in as Patron or the access will only work under the Administrator login.

                Gary

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 5, 2014
                      I understand you "shouldn't have to", this was an experiment. In any case the premium sites are all accessible so those status messages (at least the second one) seem to be in error as the system IS filtered.

                      Sent from Samsung tablet

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 13, 2014

                        Hi all, new here, but found this board when I searched google for the error messages the original poster asked about.  After reading the thread, I am not sure I understand what needs to be done, or if anything needs to be done at all.

                        I have these two error messages on new 9020 computers:

                        1: The run key is not setup to use the new.Portalsvc.exe like it should be setup.2: The system is not web-filtered, which is a requirement for accessing the FHC Services Portal.

                        Here are facts and what I understand the thread says:

                        a. My http://filter.lds.org says my filter is ok.

                        b. It looks like if I manually put the DNS servers in, the error message does not go away.

                        c. It looks like everything works just great despite the error.

                        Should I do anything?  Thanks!

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 28, 2014
                            Thank you!