RE: [fhctech] Image DVD

  • John M. Shaw
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 2012

      These days installing the Tivoli software gets you nearly everything you need. If you install the xp image you'll end up doing everything twice. If you have the skillset create your own image and install Tivoli and sophos post image.

      On Dec 31, 2012 7:34 PM, "Dana Repouille" <drepouille@...> wrote:

      This might be helpful:

      To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
      From: studer_je@...
      Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 16:44:51 -0800
      Subject: [fhctech] Image DVD

      I've been out of the FHC tech support game for a while. I'm back in and need some guidance.
      In the past, FHC Support sent us a 2 disk DVD set called "Hardware Independent Image, Family History Center Desktop Image".

      We have some computers that were donated and I need to swap out some of the older PC's.

      Is there a newer DVD that has something newer than Windows XP on it, or should I just try use the old XP disks and apply updates?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      -Jon

    • Jon Studer
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
        These donated machines came with Windows 7 Pro licenses. Is windows 7 supported by FHC Support, or do I need to install Windows XP?

        Thanks,
        -Jon

        To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
        From: zionssuburb@...
        Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 19:46:22 -0600
        Subject: RE: [fhctech] Image DVD

        To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
          Windows 7 is supported in FHC.  All new computers for FHC come with Windows 7 licenses and images.

          To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
          From: zionssuburb@...
          Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 19:46:22 -0600

          To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
          From: studer_je@...
          Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 16:44:51 -0800

          --
          Regards,

          John Shaw
          Stake Clerk
          Liberty Missouri Stake
          mobile: 816-885-4054

        • David J. Wardell
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013

            Our 2012 computer delivery from Salt Lake came with XP installed and the distribution disks from Dell for Windows 7. When I recently tried requesting a “Windows 7 image” from support, I was told that “there is no such thing” and “no ability to convert existing computers from XP to Windows 7.” The only thing I was told I could do is use the original Dell installation disks and build everything from scratch.

            I saved the relevant e-mail message if anyone is interested.

            David Wardell

            Williamsburg Virginia Family History Center

            From: zionssuburb@...
            Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 19:46:22 -0600

            To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
              If i place a new Windows 7 machine on the FHC network, how do I get antivirus software and other software installed?
              Is there a URL to go for the download?

              Thanks,
              Jon

              To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
              From: zionssuburb@...
              Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 19:46:22 -0600

              To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
                "FHC Support" are supporting the Windows7 machines in my FHC. Microsoft is dropping all their support for WindowsXP.

                I don't see any need for XP at this point.

                Bill Buchanan

                To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
                From: zionssuburb@...
                Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 19:46:22 -0600

                To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
                  This is not the case anymore, but I can't say when this might have changed, all I know is we ordered a new computer for a new FHC in our stake, in February, we received the computer much later in the year because the FMG delivered it as a clerk computer to an adjacent stake.  When I got it back it had MLS on it., so I required a Win7 install disk to re-image the computer because policy for MLS states that the computer must be wiped.

                  The Software Hardware Order form available from FamilySearch.org Help section has a checkbox to order it and you can specify xp or win7

                  I've often been told many things by very helpful missionaries volunteering their time to support me, but that information has been iffy from time to time.

                  The church is messaging, basically, that if you have XP don't upgrade to Win7 even if you have the license, because it will help them avoid an issue of someone upgrading to win7 who doesn't have a license.

                  If you have a license, ask them for a disk... if not, install it from Dell.. either way, there isn't much of value on the image from FHC anymore anything coming from them goes through an upgrade to Tivoli anyway, you have to install the agent upgrade either way... so I say, just get a simple win 7 image, then run the tivoli agent, get the ssl certs installed and away you go.

                  From: zionssuburb@...
                  Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 19:46:22 -0600

                  To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com

                    From: zionssuburb@...
                    Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 19:46:22 -0600

                    To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 4, 2013
                      Screwed that last send up, didn't get my message in along with the quoted message, so here's what I was going to say.

                      XP is still supported for just over another year by Microsoft.  After sometime in the first part of 2014, they will no longer support it, and will not send down security and other updates.  Last service pack was SP4, I believe, and it has more fixes than SP3 had.

                      Vista and Windows 7 may end up having shorter lifespans than XP or even 2000 did, because they want to move verything eventually to the new technology that Windows 8 offers.

                      From: zionssuburb@...
                      Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 19:46:22 -0600

                      To: fhctech@yahoogroups.com