Cheap film scanner?

  • Bill Buchanan
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 19, 2012
      Our FHC is in the midst of de-cluttering. We have an old Canon reader/printer (that produces streaky prints) and are considering getting one of the copy stands and a digital camera with rechargeable batteries.

      Yesterday I wondered about the viability of an inexpensive film scanner as an alternative solution. Most of them are designed to handle cut strips of 35 mm negatives or slides. While I was considering whether one could be suitably modified, I found a film scanner that looks like it could accommodate full-length microfilms. It is the Pacific Image PrimeFilm 3600u. It is available from various places online for less than $100. I calculated 3600 dpi x 3600 dpi as about 13 megapixels, so roughly the same resolution as a camera.

      Does anyone know anything about this unit? I have looked at reviews and most of them seemed positive. The biggest criticisms seem to be that it is slow and the colors are sometimes "off". Since microfilm is black and white, these do not seem like big concerns.

      Are there other problems that anyone is aware of?

      --

      Bill Buchanan
      blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

    • Jerry Hunt
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 19, 2012
        Bill,

        I found this on Amazon for $55.  Looks like you would have to set up some sort of film holder (If you're cleaning out, you may have one of the old film splicers.  Just 2 reels with turning handles)
        Over a minute per scan is a big drawback, but it's better than nothing and there are no consumables or mess.  I went to Pacific Image and it looks like it is no longer being made and their new models don't seem adaptable to your use.
        We have the new Canon 300 and everyone loves it.

        Jerry Hunt
        Hartford CT FHC

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 23, 2012
          We would be very interested in whatever you decide to do.  We have an old reader printer that is on its last leg and would like to replace it with a scanner that could either print directly to a laser printer or through one of the Family History Center computers.  We looked at ST ViewScan from ST Imaging but the price for the scanner, software and adapters is around $8,000 which is way outside our budget.

          Regards,

          Bishop Gowen
          Perry Ward, Perry Georgia
          Ed Gowen