Still no flash drives

  • Sally
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 23, 2012
      Some of the above answers do not apply to my situation. I cannot make patrons "admins" as then you open up the whole system to people downloading things they shouldn't etc. We did not have a problem before the tech got the scanner of the scanner/printer/copier working. Something went wonky at that point. When I asked how he got it working he said he wasn't sure it had just been doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that and all of a sudden it worked which does not help me. We never had any problems with any flash drives from staff or patrons before regardless if there were security features on their flash drives or not. Now some flash drives are fine and others not so much. I need to figure out what went wrong and either fix it or put it back to the original format. Unfortunately with the tech not knowing how he got the scanner working I can't put it back either.

      Is there something else I can try?
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 23, 2012
        You might check that you have the most recent drivers for your computer and scanner.  Failing that, there's always "reformat and reload".

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 23, 2012
          I have checked for updates on drivers for the computer and all updates were already on. Reformat and reload the c drive?

          --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:

          > You might check that you have the most recent drivers for your computer and
          > scanner. Failing that, there's always "reformat and reload".
          >
          > On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Sally <smilesonly@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Some of the above answers do not apply to my situation. I cannot make
          > > patrons "admins" as then you open up the whole system to people downloading
          > > things they shouldn't etc. We did not have a problem before the tech got
          > > the scanner of the scanner/printer/copier working. Something went wonky at
          > > that point. When I asked how he got it working he said he wasn't sure it
          > > had just been doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that and all
          > > of a sudden it worked which does not help me. We never had any problems
          > > with any flash drives from staff or patrons before regardless if there were
          > > security features on their flash drives or not. Now some flash drives are
          > > fine and others not so much. I need to figure out what went wrong and
          > > either fix it or put it back to the original format. Unfortunately with the
          > > tech not knowing how he got the scanner working I can't put it back either.
          > >
          > > Is there something else I can try?

        • Donald R. Snow
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 23, 2012
            Sally, is it possible to save the scans to the hard drive (desktop) and then copy them to the flash drive?  Or is it that the computer won't ever recognize the flash drives at all, not just through the scanning program?  And is it on all the computers or only on the one with the film scanner?  In one of the FHC's that we worked in they had it set up so we always saved the scans to a folder on the desktop and then copied the folder to the flash drive after.  But that wouldn't work if the computer won't ever recognize the flash drive at all.

            Don Snow

            --
            Dr. Donald R. Snow, Retired Professor of Mathematics, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah - snowd@...

          • Gtempleman1
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 23, 2012
              You missed an important qualification to my suggestion for making patrons administrators. That was IF you have DeepFreeze installed. With DF you do NOT open yourself to problems because a reboot puts everything back as it was.

[...]

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  fhctech-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  fhctech-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Sally
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 23, 2012
                when you say reboot what are you meaning? As in turn off the computer and reboot it???

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 23, 2012

                  Yes, that's the whole point of DF.  There is nothing the user can do that can't be fixed by rebooting.  It reverts back to the "frozen" image.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 23, 2012
                    ok socorrect me if I am wrong PLEASE.. this is a learning curve.. they never teach you these things in Director "school" :), if I get deepfreeze on the computers, then a patron can just plug in his drive, then it will NOT ask me for admin sign in code and password? It will just find the driver itself? Then after the patron is finished we just turn the computer off and reboot it completely? Sorry if I seem dense... just very frustrating when you have all these computer issues and no so called how to manual to fix it. How do I go about putting the deep freeze on all 10 of our computers?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 23, 2012
                      Which also means that when a patron is doing something that REQUIRES an update or something to be installed such as a plugin for a website, you do not need to have a staff person log in as an admin right then. They can keep working and those things can be corrected at your convenience.

                      Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

                      Yes, that's the whole point of DF.  There is nothing the user can do that can't be fixed by rebooting.  It reverts back to the "frozen" image.

                      On Mar 23, 2012 9:38 AM, "Sally" <smilesonly@...> wrote:

                      when you say reboot what are you meaning? As in turn off the computer and reboot it???

                      --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Gtempleman1 <gtempleman1@...> wrote:

                      > You missed an important qualification to my suggestion for making patrons administrators. That was IF you have DeepFreeze installed. With DF you do NOT open yourself to problems because a reboot puts everything back as it was.

                    • John M. Shaw
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 23, 2012
                        OK, Sally,

                        Deep Freeze should be installed by your STS, and if you don't have one that is functioning, then that is a real problem.  If your STS, or someone in your stake isn't familiar with how the FHC's work, it is worth some time understanding it all prior to just installing Deep Freeze for you problems.  In my stake, with 4 FHC's we had many issues related to the computers, the Directors were extremely upset, as I started to look into it, I thought Deep Freeze was my answer also, but I took a step back, and a deep breath, and figured out that only about 10% of my machines were being maintained correctly by the FHC Department in SLC, I actually re-imaged all the computers in my stake, which solved our issues, it was that nobody had done care and feeding with the computers in years, they were a mess - We haven't had issues now for almost 2 years, and I stop by about quarterly to make sure everything still looks good.

                        The computer systems are managed from headquarters using a solution called LanDesk... it is software that runs on your computer that reports back to systems in SLC, it tracks usage, applications installed, etc... it also pushes out software from time-to-time, does computer and Internet Checks, etc... if that isn't working properly, then the STS should get in there and get LanDeskrunning.

                        -John

                        On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Sally <smilesonly@...> wrote:

                        ok socorrect me if I am wrong PLEASE.. this is a learning curve.. they never teach you these things in Director "school" :), if I get deepfreeze on the computers, then a patron can just plug in his drive, then it will NOT ask me for admin sign in code and password? It will just find the driver itself? Then after the patron is finished we just turn the computer off and reboot it completely? Sorry if I seem dense... just very frustrating when you have all these computer issues and no so called how to manual to fix it. How do I go about putting the deep freeze on all 10 of our computers?

                        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:

                        > Yes, that's the whole point of DF. There is nothing the user can do that
                        > can't be fixed by rebooting. It reverts back to the "frozen" image.
                        > On Mar 23, 2012 9:38 AM, "Sally" <smilesonly@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > when you say reboot what are you meaning? As in turn off the computer and
                        > > reboot it???
                        > >
                        > > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Gtempleman1 <gtempleman1@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > You missed an important qualification to my suggestion for making
                        > > patrons administrators. That was IF you have DeepFreeze installed. With DF
                        > > you do NOT open yourself to problems because a reboot puts everything back
                        > > as it was.

                        Regards,

                        John Shaw
                        Stake Clerk
                        Liberty Missouri Stake
                        mobile: 816-885-4054

                        “Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God." - Joseph Smith Jr. in a letter to Nancy Rigdon Dated 11 Apr 1842

                        Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

                        “Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought. Let us have faith that right makes might and in that faith let us; to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.” –Abraham Lincoln

                        Intellect and Romance triumphs over Brute Force and Cynicism - Doctor Who as described by Craig Ferguson.

                      • Terry Steer
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 23, 2012
                          Have you tried a system restore to a date before the scanner was fixed?
                        • Bill Henderson
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 25, 2012
                            I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but the printer/scanner/..., info brings up a problem I had,related to the new Lexmark printers that were forced on my FHC (everytime Salt Lake want to help meand change my FHC, I have go back and fix it again to make it work [gripe]).  Also, if you install Deep Freeze on your patron computers, you patron user an admin and not worry about it.  Deep Freeze will protect you.  I have Patron given Admin permissions for two years and have had no trouble.

                            My problem was extremely long startup periods and screen icons that wouldn't populate to the right image. It was caused by the Lexmark installation software. My problem was different than unresponsive flash drives, but I seem to recall a single incident with that issue as well.

                            Without belaboring the point further, I uninstalled the Lexmark software from our computers (especially all that maintenace and reporting junk in the Lexmark installation pack).  Then reinstalled ONLY the device driver for the printer (scanner too where needed).

                            Network install:
                            1. Remove all lexmark printers from the Printers  and Faxes  window (assumes Windows XP).
                            2. In the Printer window, select the File menu, then select Server Properties>Ports and delete all Lexmark ports IP or otherwise.
                                (If you can't delete a port, it is because you still have a live device attached to that port.)
                            3. Next, reinstall the printer(s) using the Lexmark CD (but DO NOT run the Lexmark intallation).  If you are using network connections between the printers and the workstation follow  these instructions (USB instructions later).
                              a. Select Add a Printer and choose "Local printer attached to this computer" (yes, this is a network hookup, be patient.). Click Next.
                              b. Select "Create a new port" then, pulldown the window and choose "Standard TC/PIP port".  DO NOT choose the Lexmark TC/PIP port if seen. Choose Next.
                               c. Read the screen and choose Next. You will be asked for a printer name or IP Address.
                               d. Enter the printer's IP address (the box below it will show IP_10.xxx.xxx.xxx.  Accept this and press NEXT.
                               e. Choose "Custom" radio button (no changes) and select Next.
                               f.  You will see the IP address and Port name you entered.  Click Finish.
                               g.  You will see the window that allows you to choose the brand and model of printer to install.  Select the "Have disk" button, insert the Lexmark CD, and click Next.
                               h. Browse the computer to find the CD (E drive for most people). If not at the top level of the CD, go there and select Drivers>Print>Win_2kXP>LMACI540.inf (that is the Lexmark printer driver). Click Open.  You will be returned to the "Install from Disk" window with the proper path displayed in the box next to the Browse button.
                               i. Click OK.  See a list of printers to select.  E460dw is highlighted (shadowed) on my screen, (E460dn is also valid).  Click Next.
                               j. If you see a screen asking to use or replace the existing driver, choose "Replace".  Click Next.
                               k.  Now you'll be asked to name the printer (Lexmark E460dn is the default).  Change the name to something more usefull eg. Main_lib_#1 or whatever and follow the rest of the windows and prompt to fit your needs.
                               l.  Ask for a test page and select Finish.  When the printer is finished installing you should get a test page from it.

                                         When installing a networked printer most people want to use the network radio button found at the beginning of the install
                                         (Step 3a.).  That is for use with a printserver (usually part of a fileserver in a server/client network, The method described here
                                         has localhost (workstation) be its own printserver.

                            4.  USB installation:
                               a. Follow steps a. b. & c. in step 3 above.
                               b. Again, select Local printer button.  pulldown the choice box and select a USB port (e.g. USB001) Click Next.
                               c. You should see the list of printer brands and models.  Select the "HaveDisk" button, insert the Lexmark CD, and click Next.
                               d. Browse the computer to find the CD (E drive for most people). If not at the top level of the CD, go there and select Drivers>Print>Win_2kXP>LMACI540.inf (that is the Lexmark printer driver). Click Open.  You will be returned to the "Install from Disk" window with the proper path displayed in the box next to the Browse button.
                               e. Click OK.  See a list of printers to select.  E460dw is highlighted (shadowed) on my screen, (E460dn is also valid).  Click Next.
                               f. If you see a screen asking to use or replace the existing driver, choose "Replace".  Click Next.
                               g.  Now you be asked to name the printer (Lexmark E460dn is the default).  Change the name to something more usefull eg. Main_lib_#1 or whatever and follow the rest of the windows and prompt to fit your needs.
                               h.  Ask for a test page and select Finish.  When the printer is finished installing you should get a test page from it.
                            By following these instructions you install only the driver (LMACI540) and its support files and avoid installing the "whole" Lexmark software package, which interfered with normal operations of my PCs.  If you are using Windows Vista, 7 or another flavor of windows you'll have to modify these instruction to fit your needs.  But, they shouldn't be too different.

                            I hope this solves your'e flash drive problem.  Seems a bit far fetched but Lexmark software messed up my computers in an area I didn't suspect it would.  Good luck.

                            One last thing.  I use a Sandisk U3 flashdisk and it uses two drive letters.  The U3 setup is the one that can takeover your computer and run your flashdrive software as if it were installed on the PC itself.

                            Bill H.