Flash Drives not being recognized

  • Sally
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 22, 2012
      Hi Everyone

      I am hoping someone can help me. I am the Director of a FHC and about a week ago we noticed that patrons could not save an image off of our digital reader onto their flash drive (memory stick). It keeps putting them back to a window that gives just the option of admin sign in and password. Once you log in (which is only me) then the computer looks for the driver for it, downloads it and then says it is completed. So you try again and it will go back to the original window of sign in for admin but you can just click on cancel and then go to My Computer and click on the flash drive just fine.

      When I finally got our tech in tonight he played around with it for awhile. It seems some flash drives are just fine and some you have to go through the steps above which made no sense to me. I have about 8 of these sticks and some worked and some did not. He said that he did what he could and the only thing we can do is just slowly build the database up till the computer has all the flash drive "drivers" in it's database. That made even less sense to me and I told him that. Seeing as how I am the only one other then him who has the admin code that would mean every time a patron came in and wanted to save an image I would have to go down there and log into admin (which is not likely going to happen). I also told them we have hundreds of patrons that come in on any given month... I am not prepared to keep going back while we build up this database.

      The system was just fine till about a week or so ago when he was there (he has only been our tech a couple of weeks)to work on the printer that is attached to this digital reader. I happen to tell him that we can not use the scanner on the printer (it is a copier/scanner/printer) as it does not allow us to and the previous tech had said it was missing something. We just kept using our old one. He "played" around with it and managed to get the scanner working but since then we have had the problem stated above. He said one has nothing to do with the other but...............

      I am open to ideas on how to fix this??

      Sally
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 22, 2012

        Some flash drives have security software that has to be installed before they'll work.  If you have deep freeze installed on that computer,  you'll have to reinstall after each reboot.

        If I'm right,  the tech will need to "thaw" the machine before installing the software.

      • Gtempleman1
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 22, 2012
          If you have deep freeze installed you can  make the regular users admins. Then there is no need to log in to install the drivers. It will have to go through that process again after a reboot, but it is only a few seconds.

          Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 22, 2012
            This might not be your problem but it is a problem experienced in our FHC.
            One of our patrons could not save a file to a flash drive. When looking
            to see if there was space available there was a lot of space. Finally
            the problem was determined.

            If you write many small files onto a flash drive's root directory it can
            run out of file name space. You will see that there is a lot of space
            on the flash drive but you can not write another file to it.

            Solution is to make sun-folders and save files to the folders. Each
            folder has its own file name space.

            For further information read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/120138

            --
            Richard N Simonsen
            simonsen@...

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 23, 2012
                Microsoft addresses this problem. Maybe this information will help.

                Look at this site.

                http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196

                --
                Richard N Simonsen
                simonsen@...
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 23, 2012
                  Not sure that is the fix. As I read the OP, the problem is not that the drives are not recognized at all, but that the computer needs to install a driver before it is functional, and that needs admin privileges. We had the same issue on one computer a few years ago, but it seemed to be just a few  brands so it did not take long before all the drivers were installed and the issue disappeared.

                  Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

                  Microsoft addresses this problem.  Maybe this information will help.

                  Look at this site.

                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196

                  --
                  Richard N Simonsen
                  simonsen@...

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      fhctech-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      fhctech-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Sally
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 24, 2012
                    The problem is there is only myself and one tech that has the admin code and password to log in off of patron mode so the patron can get his flash drive located. The problem is I am not always available to drop what I am doing, drive all the way there just to do this little thing. There is gotta be something easier then this aggravation.

                    Sally