IE8 or IE9

  • Von
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
      We just finished upgrading all our computers at our Family History Center and are running Win 7. I'm wondering if anyone has advice as to whether we should still stay with IE8 or is it now time to move to IE9. I haven't heard any guidance from Headquarters on this subject.

      I've been running IE9 at home since it came out and haven't experienced any more problems (maybe less) than with IE8.

      Anyone have recommendations or knowledge regarding what we should be doing at the Family History Centers?
    • James W Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
        Google Chrome is gaining popularity, so much so that it is just about to overtake IE in any version in the number of installations fairly soon.  And with all the Firefox installs, I'm thinking that IE is going to run third anymore, many only leaving it installed to handle certain Windows updating tasks.

        And there's another bigger reason to go to Chrome now, today at Rootstech, two Google engineers were presented at Jay Verkler's presentation this morning, and they showed a browser extension for Chrome that they termed an app, that allows one to search for the same data across FamilySearch, Geni, and WeRelate.  And do a Google search for the same data elsewhere on the web.  as it works within the browser.

        There's mention of this in today's post on http://ancestryinsider.blogspot.com/ but I have as yet to find it.  There's another app that allows Ancestry users to search FamilySearch for data that matches a person on an ancestry Member Tree, but that is not the one mentioned at Rootstech, in fact, while it is now available to the public, the name was not mentioned.

        We just finished upgrading all our computers at our Family History Center and are running Win 7. I'm wondering if anyone has advice as to whether we should still stay with IE8 or is it now time to move to IE9. I haven't heard any guidance from Headquarters on this subject.

        I've been running IE9 at home since it came out and haven't experienced any more problems (maybe less) than with IE8.

        Anyone have recommendations or knowledge regarding what we should be doing at the Family History Centers?

      • Bill Buchanan
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2012
          An interesting analysis of blogger popularity on a popular genealogy site
          What are the Most Popular Internet Browsers?
          http://www.genealogyintime.com/
          [Here is their short answer, but you may want to read the whole article.]
          Internet Browser Percentage of Users
          Internet Explorer 39%
          Firefox 30%
          Chrome 18%
          Safari 10%
          Opera 1%
          Android 1%
          Other 1%
          Total 100%
          They also have a free genealogy search engine that searches across multiple genealogy sites. So does Mocavo.com

          Bill Buchanan

          --

          Bill Buchanan
          blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

        • Von
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2012
            Thank you for the great information. Please forgive me for not being more clear with my question. Let me clarify.

            At our Family History Center, we currently use IE8, Chrome (latest) and Firefox (latest). Each user has their own preference but I tell folks that if they run into a web site that doesn't work properly in one browser they can try it in another.

            What I am hoping to find out is whether I should upgrade IE8 to IE9 at the FHC. Will I be introducing compatibility problems or improvements for IE users if I upgrade to IE9?

            Thank you for your help and expertise.
          • Sue Maxwell
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 10, 2012
              Here is the link to the Google Chrome extension that James refers to below. It works with an Ancestry family tree person page and searches FamilySearch.org using those details.

              https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/iahjgikepkkgkinlhipagkkdgfbobphh

              Sue

              On 2/2/2012 9:35 PM, James W Anderson wrote:

              And there's another bigger reason to go to Chrome now, today at Rootstech, two Google engineers were presented at Jay Verkler's presentation this morning, and they showed a browser extension for Chrome that they termed an app, that allows one to search for the same data across FamilySearch, Geni, and WeRelate.  And do a Google search for the same data elsewhere on the web.  as it works within the browser.

              There's mention of this in today's post on http://ancestryinsider.blogspot.com/ but I have as yet to find it.  There's another app that allows Ancestry users to search FamilySearch for data that matches a person on an ancestry Member Tree, but that is not the one mentioned at Rootstech, in fact, while it is now available to the public, the name was not mentioned.

              --
              Sue Maxwell
              http://granitegenealogy.blogspot.com/
              Vice President - Utah Genealogical Association
              Sandy Utah Granite South Tri-Stake FHC