Access to Premium Websites

  • Bill Buchanan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2012
      Unable to Access Premium Sites in the FHC Portal
      https://www.fhc.familysearch.org

      This was the process that one of the technicians walked me through
      when 4 of our FHC’s computers lost access to the premium websites last
      week. I believe this should work for most English language FHCs
      running Internet Explorer version 8 or 9 as the default web browser:

      Firstly, make sure that the FHC computer has a valid certificate.
      At the bottom of the above page, run PortalCfg to get a new certificate.
      Close all instances of Internet Explorer
      Load the Portal page again and check whether you have access to the
      Premium sites. If so, the job is done.

      If you still cannot access the Premium sites, do the following:
      In Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet options > Security
      Click on Internet, select Default level and click Apply
      Click on Trusted Sites, select Default level and click OK
      Close all instances of Internet Explorer

      In Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet options > Security
      Click on Trusted Sites, select Custom
      About 2/3 of the way down the list you should see Don’t prompt for
      client certificate selection when no certificate or only one
      certificate exists. Select Enable
      Click OK
      Close all instances of Internet Explorer

      At https://www.fhc.familysearch.org click on Premium Websites and try
      Ancestry.com or Findmypast.co.uk to make sure that they work without
      asking you to input the certificate number.

      If this doesn’t solve the problem, call the FamilySearch Support using
      the toll-free number for your part of the world. (1-866-406-1830 for
      USA and Canada) Ask specifically for Family History Center Support.
      FHC Support will probably need to transfer you to a technician in
      Church Headquarters Support. Be prepared for a lengthy conversation,
      so don’t do this 15 minutes before closing time.

      --

      Bill Buchanan
      blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com