Re: [fhctech] Connecting Lenovo computers to a projector

  • Perry E Shumway
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2012
      I have been installing new Lenovo ThinkCentre M90Z computers at our center the last few days. If you look closely at the identification on the VGA 25 pin connector on the back of the computer you will notice that it is an input port, not an output so it will not work to connect to a projector. I don't know how you can connect a projector to them.
      Perry

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 2012
        Maybe that is something to talk to FamillySearch Support (Family History Center area) about, as we have an Optiplex 780 that we use to connect to a projector.  Sometimes we can't because of an issue with the sound settings on the machine where we can't raise the sound level so everyone can hear it when we show A/V content during training, etc.  In fact, I am emailing the group via Yahoo Mail from that very machine, attempting to get the new FamilySearch Virtual Machine for the Scottish OPRs downloaded via LANDesk, can't easily be done from a 1.5mbps DSL connection.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2012
          Perry,
          Good to hear from someone close to home.  Yes I did notice that it is an input port but there is no other video port.

          When I click on the start button there is an item on the top of the menu that says "connect to a projector".  When I click on that it goes one step further but then nothing more.  Maybe we need a USB projector if they make such a thing.
          Lynn

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 18, 2012
              Lynn; I have done some more research into connecting the Lenovo M90Z computers to a projector. This computer has a video output jack on the back that is a Displayport configuration. It is somewhat similar to a HDMI but yet different. I guess it is the latest hi definition video configuration. I went to newegg.com and found a Displayport to VGA adapter cable that should allow us to connect these computers to a projector. I haven't tried it yet but I am going to order on and see if it works OK. The newegg part number is N82E16815158211. There are others also.  I hope this is helpful to you.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 18, 2012
                Thanks Perry, I'll look into it also.