RE: [fhctech] Re: Dell GX 280 Screen going black

  • Dana Repouille
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 15, 2012
      I had pretty much ignored the conversation about the GX 520 screen going
      black. When I stopped into our stake FHC today, I found a GX 280 with a
      black screen. The POST appeared on the screen, as well as the Windows XP
      splash screen during boot-up. But the screen went black before it displayed
      the login dialog.

      I rebooted into VGA mode, and everything was visible. I then tried Safe Mode
      with Networking, which also worked, except it complained that it couldn't
      find hccutils.dll. I suppose I could have just uninstalled what was left of
      the video driver. Instead, I went to the Dell web site and downloaded the
      driver for the "Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family" Release Date:
      7/31/2006, Version: A096.14.10.4543

      I installed that driver, rebooted, and all is well. I have no idea how the
      previous driver got corrupted.

      Dana in Omaha
    • Lynn Mower
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 17, 2012
        We have received new Lenovo computers for our center.  It has been quite a chore to get everything loaded on them but we are getting there.

        We hope to use one of these computers for our training meeting each month, moving it into our outer room for that meeting and connecting it to a projector.

        To get reading for our next meeting I thought I would make sure ahead of time that our projector will work on this computer.  It does not.  Acts like it don't recognize the projector as being hooked up.  The projector worked on our old XP computer but does not work on this WIN 7 computer.

        Has anyone been through this so you can help me out?

        Lynn in Layton, Utah
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 17, 2012
          Silly question first:  Make sure you've connected to the INPUT of the projector.  (Don't ask why I say that. ;)

          Second, connect and power up the projector BEFORE powering up the computer.  That way the computer "senses" it from the get-go.

          Even before that, you might want to find out what the projector's native resolution is and change the PC to match.