Dell GX 520 Screen goin black

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2012
      Happy New Year to Every one,
      Our FHC is in recess ar the moment. I went in to do some maintenance and to check that all was well.
      I found that our Dell GX520 has a problem.
      It starts up with the usual select f12 for boot up sequence then goes to the XP start up. The little indicator does its little dance the every thing goes black. Checked that the monitor wqas working, all ok there.Checked all connections, all ok. Has any one got any clues that can help in solving this problem?

      Kind Regards
      Kevin
      Melbourne Australia.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 7, 2012
        Try booting in safe mode. If that works I would suspect the video card or driver is flaking out.
        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 7, 2012
          It sounds to me like the settings in Windows is wrong for the monitor.  (resolution or refresh rate).  I know some monitors will give some kind of message when that happens.

          Make sure that computer doesn't have a second video card.  I know it would be unusual for a FHC, but if the monitor is connected to the wrong port, I could see that happening.

          I don't think you can disable the video card in Windows if it leaves you with nothing.  Also, I supposed a bad driver update could do it, but seems unlikely.

          What exactly does the monitor do when the screen blanks out?

          On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Kevin <kevnhil@...> wrote:
          Happy New Year to Every one,
          Our FHC is in recess ar the moment. I went in to do some maintenance and to check that all was well.
          I found that our Dell GX520 has a problem.
          It starts up with the usual select f12 for boot up sequence then goes to the XP start up. The little indicator does its little dance the every thing goes black. Checked that the monitor wqas working, all ok there.Checked all connections, all ok. Has any one got any clues that can help in solving this problem?

          Kind Regards
          Kevin
          Melbourne Australia.

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             fhctech-digest@yahoogroups.com
             fhctech-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Kevin
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 7, 2012
            Gary, Thanks for that, I will try to open in safe mode.

            Russell , The screen stays black and does nothing. The computers hard drive light keeps flashing to advise it is probably loading, but the screen stays black.
            Prior to all this happening all the icons went to large,and a notation appeares stating that "you need administration rights to install this program."
            The computer was turned off and when restarted the problem began.
            There is no second video card.
            Kevin.

            --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:

            > It sounds to me like the settings in Windows is wrong for the monitor.
            > (resolution or refresh rate). I know some monitors will give some kind of
            > message when that happens.
            >
            > Make sure that computer doesn't have a second video card. I know it would
            > be unusual for a FHC, but if the monitor is connected to the wrong port, I
            > could see that happening.
            >
            > I don't think you can disable the video card in Windows if it leaves you
            > with nothing. Also, I supposed a bad driver update could do it, but seems
            > unlikely.
            >
            > What exactly does the monitor do when the screen blanks out?
            >
            > On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Kevin <kevnhil@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Happy New Year to Every one,
            > > Our FHC is in recess ar the moment. I went in to do some maintenance and
            > > to check that all was well.
            > > I found that our Dell GX520 has a problem.
            > > It starts up with the usual select f12 for boot up sequence then goes to
            > > the XP start up. The little indicator does its little dance the every thing
            > > goes black. Checked that the monitor wqas working, all ok there.Checked all
            > > connections, all ok. Has any one got any clues that can help in solving
            > > this problem?
            > >
            > > Kind Regards
            > > Kevin
            > > Melbourne Australia.

          • Arlan Beebe
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 7, 2012
              Try a monitor with known higher resolution. Default maybe set to a high resolution.
              Arlan

              <kevnhil@...> wrote:

              > > Happy New Year to Every
              one,
              > > Our FHC is in recess ar the moment. I went in to do some
              maintenance and
              > > to check that all was well.
              > > I found
              that our Dell GX520 has a problem.
              > > It starts up with the usual
              select f12 for boot up sequence then goes to
              > > the XP start up. The
              little indicator does its little dance the every thing
              > > goes black.
              Checked that the monitor wqas working, all ok there.Checked all

              connections, all ok. Has any one got any clues that can help in solving
              > > this problem?
              > >
              > > Kind Regards

              Kevin

              href="mailto:fhctech-owner%40yahoogroups.com">fhctech-owner@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 7, 2012
                Although the question to ask is how that would have changed from a working configuration during the closure unless someone did it. I suspect most staff would report a non-booting computer whether they understood they were the cause or not.

                Whenever I change monitor resolution it asks if I want to keep the new setting and it automatically reverts if not approved. So I can understand getting a screwy resolution, but a change that would make it go black would be tougher to click OK.

                The message about trying to install a program raises some red flags that there is more going on than screen resolution.
                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                From: "Arlan Beebe" <abeebe@...>
                Sender: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 21:48:07 -0500
                To: <fhctech@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: RE: [fhctech] Re: Dell GX 520 Screen goin black

                <kevnhil@...> wrote:

                > > Happy New Year to Every
                one,
                > > Our FHC is in recess ar the moment. I went in to do some
                maintenance and
                > > to check that all was well.
                > > I found
                that our Dell GX520 has a problem.
                > > It starts up with the usual
                select f12 for boot up sequence then goes to
                > > the XP start up. The
                little indicator does its little dance the every thing
                > > goes black.
                Checked that the monitor wqas working, all ok there.Checked all

                connections, all ok. Has any one got any clues that can help in solving
                > > this problem?
                > >
                > > Kind Regards

                Kevin

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 8, 2012
                  Gary,
                  The weird thing is that when we checked everythng out 2 days before this all computers including this one were working properly. As far as I know nobody has been into the centre. Then again there are many members who are able to access the centre and don't tell anyone. There is a sign in book with a notice to sign in any time the centre is used, difficult to monitor ( sorry my whinge.)
                  Regards
                  Kevin.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 11, 2012
                    Gary,& Russell,
                    I tried going to "Safe Mode" it took some doing but it git there once. Then refused to go there again. I changed monitors, no change there either. I tried to go to "repair Console on the windows XP disk that worked up to where it wanted the "Administrator Password". The system did not like our password or any other derivation that we could think of. Finally I installed windows XP over the top of this one, eventually this loaded and now it is working reasonably well.
                    It is as "slow as a bag full of wet mice", but it recognises all passwords and the internet. I will have to investigate why it is so slow. I don't think the others are this slow.
                    Many Thanks for all your great suggestions.

                  • Dana Repouille
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 15, 2012
                      I had pretty much ignored the conversation about the GX 520 screen going
                      black. When I stopped into our stake FHC today, I found a GX 280 with a
                      black screen. The POST appeared on the screen, as well as the Windows XP
                      splash screen during boot-up. But the screen went black before it displayed
                      the login dialog.

                      I rebooted into VGA mode, and everything was visible. I then tried Safe Mode
                      with Networking, which also worked, except it complained that it couldn't
                      find hccutils.dll. I suppose I could have just uninstalled what was left of
                      the video driver. Instead, I went to the Dell web site and downloaded the
                      driver for the "Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family" Release Date:
                      7/31/2006, Version: A096.14.10.4543

                      I installed that driver, rebooted, and all is well. I have no idea how the
                      previous driver got corrupted.

                      Dana in Omaha
                    • Lynn Mower
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 17, 2012
                        We have received new Lenovo computers for our center.  It has been quite a chore to get everything loaded on them but we are getting there.

                        We hope to use one of these computers for our training meeting each month, moving it into our outer room for that meeting and connecting it to a projector.

                        To get reading for our next meeting I thought I would make sure ahead of time that our projector will work on this computer.  It does not.  Acts like it don't recognize the projector as being hooked up.  The projector worked on our old XP computer but does not work on this WIN 7 computer.

                        Has anyone been through this so you can help me out?

                        Lynn in Layton, Utah
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 17, 2012
                          Silly question first:  Make sure you've connected to the INPUT of the projector.  (Don't ask why I say that. ;)

                          Second, connect and power up the projector BEFORE powering up the computer.  That way the computer "senses" it from the get-go.

                          Even before that, you might want to find out what the projector's native resolution is and change the PC to match.