Re: Canon Microfilm Scanner

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 20, 2011
      G'Day All
      As I stated in my earlier post, I know practically nothing about networking, so this is all new to me and I will need to upgrade my knowledge fairly quickly. I have done some checking and found the following.

      1. The SCZI cord is attached from the scanner to the server computer.

      2. the stand alone printer is attached to the scanner by a printer cable.

      3. The networked printer has a cat5 cable going from it to the Server computer.

      4. The networked printer is also attached to another computer by a printer cable. This computer is the number 3 computer on the network.

      5. On checking the server to see how many printers are listed, it shows only the one printer . That is the printer that is attached to the number 3 computer.

      6. To confuse things even further the number 3 computer listed on the network is actually the number 2 computer. ( does that make sense?)

      I am working in the dark here as the networking guru is not available at present.

      Does any one have any clue folowing my previous post,why one has to be connected with 1 sheet of paper loaded to have the other printer work?

      Many Thanks

      Kevin

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 20, 2011
        Kevin,

        I am not a networking expert so others may have a better idea, but this
        setup seems way too complex. When the Church sends out the microfilm
        scanners, the documentation (at least previously) said it should be a stand
        alone system and not to install other software on the scanner computer. So I
        would not have it also function as a server for the center. I have inserted
        comments in your list below.

        Gary

> [...]

          scanner.

          > 6. To confuse things even further the number 3 computer listed on the
          > network is actually the number 2 computer. ( does that make sense?)

          Uh, no it doesn't. But I would work to get the computer names consistent and
          unique for each computer, and use the same user names and passwords on them
          all for ease of them talking to each other.

          > I am working in the dark here as the networking guru is not available at
          > present.
          >
          > Does any one have any clue folowing my previous post,why one has to be
          > connected with 1 sheet of paper loaded to have the other printer work?
          >
          > Many Thanks
          >
          > Kevin
          >

          > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Templeman" <gtempleman1@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> And if that is the case, just uninstalling the one not needed may do the

          Regards,

          John Shaw

          “Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God." - Joseph Smith Jr. in a letter to Nancy Rigdon Dated 11 Apr 1842

          Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr., assassinated on April 4, 1968.

          “Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought. Let us have faith that right makes might and in that faith let us; to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.” –Abraham Lincoln, assassinated on April 14, 1865.

        • Kevin
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 20, 2011
            Gary,
            Thank you for your comments. I will talk to the networking guy and see if we can change things around so that the networking computer can for networking only and use another computer as the scanner computer. I think we have a disk that has the scanner program on it.
            I will let you know how it all works.
            Regards

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 21, 2011
              On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Kevin <kevnhil@...> wrote:
               I think we have a disk that has the scanner program on it.
              There's a good chance that's the old ImageWizard.  The currently supported program is available via LANDesk.