Re: Dell Optiplex 780 USFF Setup Issue

  • Von
    Message 1 of 12 , May 10, 2011
      I have come to the conclusion that the 15 minute wait on all these new computers is related to the network Master Browser's announcement time. Regardless of any change that I make to these computers that might affect the network in any way (ie; change computer name; relocate to a different switch, etc.) the changed computer always waits 15 minutes to display the desktop icons for the user. The machine is unusable during this 15 minute wait. After the intial one time wait (usually), the computers seem to work fine. This wait does not occur in Safe Mode.

      These computers are on a peer-to-peer network. No Domain. A PC with Windows 2003 Server is the Master Browser and only serves as a data server and is licensed for plenty of users. The behavior is the same whether I'm running 2 pcs or 30+ pcs.

      After reviewing all suggestions from this forum and extensive online research, I've run out of ideas and I guess I'll just live with it!

      Thank you all for your help!

      --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "LDS Skier" <ldsskier@...> wrote:

> [...]
    • lds skier
      Message 2 of 12 , May 10, 2011
        This is where you should check the event viewer.

        If it is indeed the master browser thingy causing the problem try the following:

        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters

        Create a string IsDomainMaster and set it to FALSE.

        Also try disabling the Server service on the workstations.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2011
          I wanted to let you all know what it took to resolve this issue. The problem was connected to the Lexmark T656dne networked printer. I had installed the software that came with the printer that monitored the status of the printer. I also had installed the Enhanced Communication System (bi-directional communication) TCP/IP port. Removing all that installation and just installing the printer with a Standard TCP/IP port solved the problem.

          Thanks for all your suggestions.
          Von Hemmert