new.familysearch.org Slowness Issue

  • John M. Shaw
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2011
      Gang,

      I posted a similar thread a month ago, but recently found out that the solution involved turning off the filtering, which isn't really a solution.  I've been working with an engineer at the GSD who has been extremely helpful, however, I am still a little surprised that this issue doesn't seem to be very wide spread, but is happenging on EVERY site I have with an ASA 5505.  I have 3 sites where this is an issue, 2 are on ATT DSL lines, and the 3rd is Windstream.

      A reminder, this is not a post about general slowness, it is a post about slowness with the very specific website, https://new.familysearch.org

      Here is the typical experience.

      We launch the browser with https://new.familysearch.org
      The web site has status indicators, searching.... goes through a long cookie process
      eventually the web site starts to show up, but still is downloading pictures
      In the language bar, the default language is Deutsch, until the very end the switches to English

      this process takes anywhere from 25 seconds to 40 seconds, EVERY time a page loads from the Website.

      This only happens on new.familysearch.org.... lds.org comes up quick, everything comes up quick, only New.familysearch.org is slow

      The Church managed to create a bypass in my configs for new.familysearch.org only, that way we have the general filtering level applied, but the sites for new.familysearch.org bypass the filtering.  This has given us the desired performance.

      What I'm trying to figure out is if anyone else has this very specific problem... ASA5505 and new.familysearch.org slowness?
    • Robert Harrison
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2011
        Yes, on Saturday I was training some Family History Consultants how to use new.familysearch.org, the website was very slow, almost to the point of unusable and we are using the ASA5505 on a Bell DSL line 6Mbps.

        RCH

        Message 3 of 13 , May 2, 2011
          A very off the wall theory that may have nothing to do with the issue.

          Could this have anything to do with IPv4 vs IPv6? Is
          new.familysearch.org trying to move ahead in this area and it is
          affecting older firewalls that do not know how to cope with the change?

          Larry Jackson

          __

          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2011
            Larry,

            Saying that the Family History side of the IT shop of the church is moving ahead with something is probably not off the mark.  All I know is that with the filtering ON and ASA 5505, new.familysearch.org doesn't work for me... I'm at another FHC tonight, it is behind a PIX firewall, and new.familysearch.org is working as expected.  I really think the issue has something to do with the return traffic between the firewall and the Filtering Servers...  The Cisco 881 (relying on someone else) doesn't have the issue, and the PIX doesn't have the issue, but the ASA 5505 does.

            --
            Regards,

            John Shaw

            “Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God." - Joseph Smith Jr. in a letter to Nancy Rigdon Dated 11 Apr 1842

            Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr., assassinated on April 4, 1968.

            “Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought. Let us have faith that right makes might and in that faith let us; to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.” –Abraham Lincoln, assassinated on April 14, 1865.

          • Arlan Beebe
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2011
              I was told by someone who knows that it is not a factor.

              Arlan

              A very off the wall theory that may have nothing to do with the issue.

              Could this have anything to do with IPv4 vs IPv6? Is
              new.familysearch.org trying to move ahead in this area and it is
              affecting older firewalls that do not know how to cope with the change?

              Larry Jackson

              __

              On 5/2/2011 4:34 PM, Robert Harrison wrote:

              > Yes, on Saturday I was training some Family History
              Consultants how to
              > use new.familysearch.org, the website was very slow,
              almost to the point
              > of unusable and we are using the ASA5505 on a Bell
              DSL line 6Mbps.

              2011 4:12:32 PM

              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2011
                Can this person in the know tell us why the ASA 5505 doesn't seem to like the filtering with new.familysearch.org?

                Message 7 of 13 , May 3, 2011
                  No

                  Arlan

                  A very off the wall theory that may have nothing to do with the issue.

                  Could this have anything to do with IPv4 vs IPv6? Is
                  new.familysearch.org trying to move ahead in this area and it is
                  affecting older firewalls that do not know how to cope with the change?

                  Larry Jackson

                  __

                  On 5/2/2011 4:34 PM, Robert Harrison wrote:
                  > Yes, on Saturday I was training some Family History Consultants how to
                  > use new.familysearch.org, the website was very slow, almost to the point
                  > of unusable and we are using the ASA5505 on a Bell DSL line 6Mbps.

                • James W Anderson
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 3, 2011
                    Actually, I've found it could be a programming issue, as if you are on a typical home connection, you will find that it does take some time for anything the Church has to load up at times.

                    On the main FamilySearch site, I've found it is a layered background, so however they programmed it, it takes several seconds for all the color layers to come up, the verbage and form comes up last.

                    nFS seems to not be an issue except during search/add or other things using specific data.

                    IPv6 has not been implemented yet, but I am sure the tech people at CHQ and elsewhere are discussing how to deal with it when the time comes.

                    Now it could be the filteirng, because they may be using a 'database' filtering solution rather than a cloud defense solution.  And they may be using an older version of Websense as well.  A cloud solution is like K9 Web Protection (free to home users) which uses the same methods and data management as the commercial version made by Blue Coat Systems used often by very large companies (it's not kept on yours or the main computers, but on the filter's data centers and they have a lot of them so you're never unprotected),

                    But I've also found thanks to my local public library that Websense is not the best filtering out there, I'm using K9 at home, and find it rock-solid on the things that matter to us, ensuring no pornography, gambling, or malware etc., gets through.

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 3, 2011
                      James,

                      I tend to agree with you, the websites are very sluggish to me.  When I take network traces with Wireshark behind the ASA 5505 and General Filtering, there is a BUNCH of bad checksum data, there is a lot of traffic being re-packaged and re-transmitted... without the filtering I don't see that issue.  I've sent network traces from 2 different sites with the issue, I don't know if they are getting anywhere.

                      I work in a large Data Center operations, and we are BlueCoat users for both Forward and Reverse proxy....  I'm also a K9 user at home, I've really enjoyed their work.

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 3, 2011

                        If anyone knew, then it would be easy to fix.

                      • John M. Shaw
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 4, 2011
                          This is true, the biggest problem was getting someone on the GSD to understand this issue.  When they hear SLOW, their training tells them to do many things, but without actual knowledge behind the scripts and documents they have, it is impossible for them to comprehend the real issue.  Admittedly, I was calling mostly after hours and on Saturday and Sunday's naively thinking the same level of service was available to me during those times, which clearly turned out not to be the case.  Once I started taking my precious work time and vacation time to talk to the day-time guys, we finally found someone that didn't dismiss the issue immediately as a general slowness issue.......

                          This issue ONLY affected the new.familysearch.org website.... I did network traces, I tested it by bringing a firewall to my home and reproducing the issue.  I checked out 2 IDENTICAL laptops from work to hook up one behind the firewall, and one directly to DSL... I could reproduce the issue every time in my sleep and blindfolded, it was obvious, and glaring.

                          Once we did get someone that understood the issue, and found the data to be true, the (backline) engineers responded the same way... with NO desire to fix the issue, they dismissed it as a general slowness issue.  Forced the GSD to go through hoops and hoops.

                          I work in this business, I have a GSD, and a backline engineer group, I know the game, but I also couldn't ever talk to someone that knew what they were doing, and even when I did, the only people that can fix the issue, dismissed that person.  In my business, If a client at 3 sites reported the same issue, we sit in a room together (virtual room) until the issue is resolved (granted mine are paying customers, and we pay them money back if our service isn't good).

                          I am still baffled that others are not reporting this issue.  Do the test... if you have an ASA 5505 and General filtering, hit new.familysearch.org and see how long it takes.....I can't believe it's only my 3 sites, on 2 different ISP's

                          -John

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 4, 2011
                            On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 3:37 AM, John M. Shaw <zionssuburb@...> wrote:

                            I am still baffled that others are not reporting this issue.  Do the test... if you have an ASA 5505 and General filtering, hit new.familysearch.org and see how long it takes.....I can't believe it's only my 3 sites, on 2 different ISP's

                            I think part of the problem is the number of sites with the ASA box.  Only new FHCs or ones that had to replace their PIX would have it.  I think the bulk of the sites with that box would be meetinghouses where the stake decided to install Internet service on their own dime.  (The new "FM group pays" is using a different model)

                            The bad checksums are interesting.  Mis-routed/filtered packets are one thing, but corruption is quite different.  I wonder if this is something specific to the OS level on the ASA box, or the box doesn't meet the requirements of the OS.  Given that it's multiple site, bad memory doesn't seem like a strong option.
                          • James W Anderson
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 4, 2011
                              The first boxes were the Pix boxes, those were installed by FHCs during primarily the period when FHCs got Internet service out of their own budgets, and were used until they were discontinued in 2005 or so, but almost everyone from probably 2004 got a 5505.

                              The Pix boxes should work with both XP nad the  now defunct Win2k.  The 5505s were put out after XP came out, as XP was shipped with almost everything sent out to FHCs and many meetinghouse installs beginning in 2004 when MLS was introduced generally to meetinghouse clerk offices. While they didn't use the Internet until recently, that's proof of a general timeline for adopting the OS generally on the Church network.