Re: [fhctech] Accessing new.familysearch.org - VERY SLOW

  • Douglas Danell
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 15, 2011
      you might want to check and see if you have microsoft search 4.0 on your computers and if so you can try to uninstall the program. I found that to help.
    • PhilBess@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 16, 2011
        We are experiencing the same SLOW response in the Fort Worth Texas FHC. I don't see the problem at home. I reviewed the thread in the forums. Do I just follow the instructions (given to the Pompano Beach Florida Stake)for each desktop and open a new ticket for each -- or is this a more general problem??

        Phil Besselievre

        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, James W Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:

        > I posted in the forums about this, see the thread about the same problem in forums.familysearch.org, in the FHC area.
        >
        > Probably is more net congestion, someone there said there that a ticket was created, details in that thread.

      • John M. Shaw
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 16, 2011
          It looks like we need to have some trust that the issue is being looked at internally.  It is a general problem.  What I don't know is when a 'fix' is identified, will there be communication?  Will all firewalls be proactively updated? etc...  or will it be done only as people call, and only if the GSD person knows about the issue.

          --
          Regards,

          John Shaw

          “Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God." - Joseph Smith Jr. in a letter to Nancy Rigdon Dated 11 Apr 1842

          Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr., assassinated on April 4, 1968.

          “Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought. Let us have faith that right makes might and in that faith let us; to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.” –Abraham Lincoln, assassinated on April 14, 1865.

        • Leonard Plaizier
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 17, 2011
            I think I have been having the same problem accessing FHC and NEW FamilySearch.org
            We are having the browser timeout. Many times a refresh with open the site; but there are times we can not get the page to open.

            The LDSaccount sign up site will not complete.  Patrons enter their member number, birthday, and image word than wait.  The image word changes and no error message. It does not move to the next screen.  Could it be timng out?

            We are a large multi-stake FHC using the Cisco PIX 501 with 23 computers.  We are using IE8 and XP.

            Last year I talked with support.  They made some changes to the PIX.  Still have the problem.
            Thanks
            Leonard
          • John M. Shaw
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 18, 2011
              This is exactly what our centers are experiencing as well, no amount of effort on our part (which is considerable), upgrading RAM, reimaging, talking to the GSD (not to mention how many thousands of dollars spent to upgrade computers to get around the problem), has been effective - the GSD and the church failed to coorelate the I'm sure hundreds of calls, the GSD has been tweaking firewalls, rescripting, and generally causing thousands of hours of work from us volunteers when the issue has been internal to the church's network all along.

              I fell for the 'blame it on the centers' myself, and spent many hours reimaging, upgrading RAM, etc... and we can see from some of the responses on this thread that some people are still looking at this like it is a a center issue, where it clearly has been demonstrated to be a church-network problem.  I have to wonder about the reasons behind this..  I can only think that we are culturally so averse to assiging 'fault' with 'The Church', that it has somehow translated into the world of supporting technology.... questions for another time I think.

              I am very hopeful we have them looking into the issue now, and we should have resolution soon.

              On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Leonard Plaizier <leonard.plaizier@...> wrote:

              I think I have been having the same problem accessing FHC and NEW FamilySearch.org
              We are having the browser timeout. Many times a refresh with open the site; but there are times we can not get the page to open.

              The LDSaccount sign up site will not complete.  Patrons enter their member number, birthday, and image word than wait.  The image word changes and no error message. It does not move to the next screen.  Could it be timng out?

              We are a large multi-stake FHC using the Cisco PIX 501 with 23 computers.  We are using IE8 and XP.

              Last year I talked with support.  They made some changes to the PIX.  Still have the problem.
              Thanks
              Leonard

            • Bill Buchanan

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 18, 2011
                  Bill,

                  The biggest issue that we've seen in my work environment is in the following paragraph..

                  A problem arises, though, if your router or your ISP's equipment thinks it can handle IPv6 and really can't. Your PC tries to connect via IPv6 but something gets lost in the communication. You might experience delays of a minute or more while your PC battles with the site's IPv6 stack, can't get through because of intermediary problems, gives up after a while, and finally falls back to IPv4.

                  I've just finished implementing an IPv6 transition solution that will allow us to communicate to either IPv6 or IPv4, we're letting DNS determine how we communicate.  Windows 7 really does act the way the paragraph explains... it can be extremely frustrating.

                  For FHC's I would suggest we disable all IPv6 at our centers.  I'm running XP, but do not have any IPv6 turned on.

                  The issue that is happening at the church is IPv4 related, and is pretty complex.  From the Network trace I took, the FHC computers go through the firewall, but they are still communicating with the Internet IP address for new.familysearch.org  ---  that tells me that our traffic is being routed internally across the vpn, then routed out the church Internet Connection, and then back into new.familysearch.org [and back again] -- With Load Balancers in place, reverse proxies, Anti-Virus scanning, IDS/IPS this is a recipe for disaster.  (I have a work environment with very similar requirements, some of our clients connect to solutions from inside our Data Center [because they have direct connections from their businesses to our data center] and others access the same sites from the Internet)  We've had to put specific infrastructure in place to support this type of connectivity.

                  I'm not sure why we're sending the data across the vpn if it's just going to the Internet Address anyway.  I imagine we need to have the LANDesk traffic, and AV, and FHC specific traffic... anyway, I'm glad they are looking at it, but don't envy the task.  Either they need to change their infrastructure, or they need to go back and retro-update all the firewalls out there....

                  -John