Re: [fhctech] Lost Internet after Ordinance Tracker update

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2011
      Just for fun, I upgraded one computer in our FHC.  No problems.

      I'd suggest running the IPCONFIG command on both working and non-working computers and comparing the results.  Probably starting with the DNS (Domain Name Service) which translates the names into an IP address.

      On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Gary Templeman <gtempleman1@...> wrote:

      Tough to do because I am home now. What should I look for when I get back and do that?

      Gary

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011

        First check to see if an IP address has been assigned to the computer, then make sure the gateway is correct.  If the adapter has been disabled entirely it will be made evident as well.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
          is this something ALL centres are supposed to be doing? I am the Director in Surrey BC and I never got notification for this???

          www.findingyourroots.ca
          Sally Haysom
          Director
          Surrey Stake Family History Centre
          Surrey BC
          604-644-9934

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
            If the adapter was disabled I couldn't have successfully pinged by IP address, as I said I could.

            I also had done a release and renew of the computers and they get an IP address from ldsglobal in the correct range (10.xxx.xxx etc). I did not specifically look at the gateway, but even if the software had changed something there, I thought the release/renew would fix that.

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            From: "LDS Skier" <ldsskier@...>
            Sender: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 07:14:35 -0500
            To: <fhctech@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: fhctech@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
              Gary,
              I had a similar but not identical situation at our FHC.  While we were closed for the holidays I upgraded two computers from WIN 2000 to WIN XP.  When I tried to download ancestral quest and get my ancestors from the church source the downloads ran for over an hour.  When it finished it said the download failed and kept running.  I finally had to turn off the power strip to shut the computer down.  When I booted back up it would not shut down properly.  It was like a windows update that shuts the computer down automatically but without the message.  Finally my computer guy did an alt-ctrl-del and looked at the task master to see what was running.   Nothing was but we closed ancestral quest and get my ancestors anyway.  Then we could shut the computer down properly.  Maybe it's a landesk problem.   By the way I was able to download family insight and roots magic okay before the problems.
              Lynn

              From: "LDS Skier" <ldsskier@...>
              Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 07:14:35 -0500

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
                There is no notification for *optional* software programs. These updates were needed for them to continue to log on to nFS due to changes made there.

                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
                  OrdinanceTracker and GetMyAncestors do not change any system settings or files. They install the files they need in their own directories, never in the Windows system directories. So I have no explanation for the change in the systems. I wonder if something else got installed through LANDesk at the same time.

                  John

                  From: "LDS Skier" <ldsskier@...>
                  Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 07:14:35 -0500

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
                    Problem fixed. I  powered down all the computers, the PIX and our uplinked hub (for additional ports). Brought the PIX back up first, then the hub, then one computer at a time. None of them had a connectivity problem. Everything pointed to it being a DNS problem and it is a curious thing why it happened immediately after those updates, and only on those computers. The only thing I can think of is that something got scrambled during the reboots that created some kind of internal IP address conflict.

                    Gary