Lost Internet after Ordinance Tracker update

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2011
      Our center has been closed for the holidays, so at Church today we found a note that Ordinance Tracker and Get My Ancestors needed to be updated to the 12/15/2010 version to be able to log on to nFS. I used the Landesk deployment to update the programs. After rebooting, none of the computers that were updated can connect to the Internet. The two that were not updated will connect, so we know it is not a problem with the ISP.

      At a command prompt I cannot ping any web sites such as google.com by name, but can by their IP address. Running ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns have no effect. Also, the updated computers no longer make the network drive connections to the server so there is definately something screwed up in the network. Thse Sophos firewall log does not show anything blocked.

      Any idea what setting(s) the updates may have changed and what the fix is?

      Gary Templeman
    • LDS Skier
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2011

        Paste a copy of your IPCONFIG /ALL

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2011
          Tough to do because I am home now. What should I look for when I get back and do that?

          Gary

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2011
            Just for fun, I upgraded one computer in our FHC.  No problems.

            I'd suggest running the IPCONFIG command on both working and non-working computers and comparing the results.  Probably starting with the DNS (Domain Name Service) which translates the names into an IP address.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011

              First check to see if an IP address has been assigned to the computer, then make sure the gateway is correct.  If the adapter has been disabled entirely it will be made evident as well.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
                is this something ALL centres are supposed to be doing? I am the Director in Surrey BC and I never got notification for this???

                www.findingyourroots.ca
                Sally Haysom
                Director
                Surrey Stake Family History Centre
                Surrey BC
                604-644-9934

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
                  If the adapter was disabled I couldn't have successfully pinged by IP address, as I said I could.

                  I also had done a release and renew of the computers and they get an IP address from ldsglobal in the correct range (10.xxx.xxx etc). I did not specifically look at the gateway, but even if the software had changed something there, I thought the release/renew would fix that.

                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  From: "LDS Skier" <ldsskier@...>
                  Sender: fhctech@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 07:14:35 -0500
                  To: <fhctech@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: fhctech@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
                    Gary,
                    I had a similar but not identical situation at our FHC.  While we were closed for the holidays I upgraded two computers from WIN 2000 to WIN XP.  When I tried to download ancestral quest and get my ancestors from the church source the downloads ran for over an hour.  When it finished it said the download failed and kept running.  I finally had to turn off the power strip to shut the computer down.  When I booted back up it would not shut down properly.  It was like a windows update that shuts the computer down automatically but without the message.  Finally my computer guy did an alt-ctrl-del and looked at the task master to see what was running.   Nothing was but we closed ancestral quest and get my ancestors anyway.  Then we could shut the computer down properly.  Maybe it's a landesk problem.   By the way I was able to download family insight and roots magic okay before the problems.
                    Lynn

                    From: "LDS Skier" <ldsskier@...>
                    Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 07:14:35 -0500

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
                      There is no notification for *optional* software programs. These updates were needed for them to continue to log on to nFS due to changes made there.

                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
                        OrdinanceTracker and GetMyAncestors do not change any system settings or files. They install the files they need in their own directories, never in the Windows system directories. So I have no explanation for the change in the systems. I wonder if something else got installed through LANDesk at the same time.

                        John

                        From: "LDS Skier" <ldsskier@...>
                        Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 07:14:35 -0500

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
                          Problem fixed. I  powered down all the computers, the PIX and our uplinked hub (for additional ports). Brought the PIX back up first, then the hub, then one computer at a time. None of them had a connectivity problem. Everything pointed to it being a DNS problem and it is a curious thing why it happened immediately after those updates, and only on those computers. The only thing I can think of is that something got scrambled during the reboots that created some kind of internal IP address conflict.

                          Gary