Inventroy Manager Import File Structure

  • paulbb1
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2010
      What is the file structure that the text import expecting? I get error messages every time I try to import a 'Film Trak' text file exported from Excel as a CSV file. The regular Film Trak import doesn't line the file.

      I am an experienced .dbf, access, & Excel data manipulator. I can't get to the file structure of Inventory Manager via Access.
    • Mike Fauber
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2010
        The following link points to a knowledge document that is available on the new.familysearch.org help center...

        This explains the file format that may be used to import extended film loan data for microfilm/fiche.  The only required field is the GSN or Film/Fiche number.  it must be 7 characters in length ( add leading zeros if needed.  There must be 13 fields on each line separated by a vertical bar character “|”.  There is no field name line.  below is an example of the simplest records that can be entered.  Note that there are 13 fields and thus 12 field separators.

        example records:
        1234567||||||||||||
        6001234||||||||||||

        If only the film/fiche number is imported then Inventory Manager (IM) will use some of the FHC information to fill in the other fields.

        When this data is imported from IM into the Online Film Ordering system (OFO) This will help prevent patrons from ordering a film that is already in inventory.  Using just the film number will not allow the patrons to see what films they ordered prior to OFO, however.  More work will be required to update the patron info ( including name, address, email, etc. ) so that the patrons will be able to see a complete list of the films they ordered on OFO.
      • Arlan Beebe
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2010
          This is perfect!
          Thank you very much.