IE 8 and the portal certificate

  • Jshawut
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 19, 2010
      Help,

      After upgrading IE 8 on my desktops, there is now a prompt for the certificate every time the page loads, I have one remaing IE 7 which this isn't happening on. Does anyone know the fix?
    • emaegf
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 19, 2010
        Reinstall the certificate from the portal website. Go to http://www.fhc.familysearch.org/ scroll down to the Help section and click on PortalCfg.exe
        Tech Support told us that IE 8 is not supported for our machines that's why it happens. Once I did the fix we havn't had any problems.

        Ema

        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Jshawut" <zionssuburb@...> wrote:

        > Help,
        >
        > After upgrading IE 8 on my desktops, there is now a prompt for the certificate every time the page loads, I have one remaing IE 7 which this isn't happening on. Does anyone know the fix?

      • James W Anderson
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 19, 2010
          IE 8 is pretty much the 'standard' browser that is used now.  While IE 7 is still available, and updated, there's better functionality, particularly in zooming in when needed for older patrons that have vision problems.  Once you zoom in, it stays zoomed in, you didn't have it quite that way on anything before IE 8.

          Firefox does too, but you have to zoom in page by page for the time being, they have not gotten it fixed the way that IE 8 has.

          That said, there have been miscellaneous reports of some FamilySearch sites not working right in part with IE 8, my experience has been of one technical thing on the Wiki, but that has to do with the PHP that the Wiki uses, and Microsoft or others will eventually fix the issue that caused the problem, or a workaround will be found by the Wiki team, doesn't affect about 90 percent of the users though.

          Tech Support told us that IE 8 is not supported for our machines that's why it happens. Once I did the fix we havn't had any problems.

          Ema

          --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Jshawut" <zionssuburb@...> wrote:

          > Help,
          >
          > After upgrading IE 8 on my desktops, there is now a prompt for the certificate every time the page loads, I have one remaing IE 7 which this isn't happening on. Does anyone know the fix?

        • E Marleena Alkire
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 19, 2010

            Those are the exact reasons I have it on all our machines but when one of the FHC Workers called Tech Support one day in June they told him we were not supposed to have it on the machines it wasn’t approved for use in the FHCs. I still won’t remove it and after Tech Support took it off one machine by remote access I put it back on. Tech Support has never had a problem helping the Workers with problems when needed with IE8 on our machines so there is no reason to take it off.

            We have workers and patrons with vision problems who come in and can instantly make the changes themselves since it’s so easy to do so with IE8.

            It’s so much better for the user.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 19, 2010
              As to 'IE 8 not authorized', That appears to be the work of the same person who's spreading the rumor that Headquarters didnn't approve IE 8.  However, I have been in situations where HQ computers are, such as at a recent vendor area in a family history conference, and they were using IE 8.  At the Wiki tech meeting we often discuss anything that comes up where someone mentions a problem in this browser or that, and they have IE 8 at headquarters itself, and the FHL too.  So what is the big deal then, sounds like a personal distaste for IE 8 has been pushed out by someone who quite simply has an axe to grind against it, not common sense.

              The desktop icon was not installed on the desktops on the new 780s in Utah County, Utah because of this rumor.  You have to get it by using the start button menu in XP.  Whoever was doing that here involving IE 8 put Google Chrome in as the default browser.

              Another thing they did on the Optiplex 780s is force deletion of Flash updates above version 7, you have to update Flash if you want to visit a site that uses Flash every time.  Everything now requires usually over version 8 or 9 (see the 'System Check' module in the eLearning area in the training and resources area in the nFS help center), and nFS requires the current version 10.1 for the large tree feature to work properly, as version 10 integrates Adobe Flex better than version 9 does, which is what they programmed the large tree feature in.

              It could go back a couple years when IE 8 was released as a beta.  In fact, they are testing IE 9 right now as a beta, and that one would not be desired at this point due to the problems that usually surface during a beta, once it's formally released then IE 9 will become the standard browser most people use on Windows besides any others they choose to use or prefer to use.

              Those are the exact reasons I have it on all our machines but when one of the FHC Workers called Tech Support one day in June they told him we were not supposed to have it on the machines it wasn’t approved for use in the FHCs. I still won’t remove it and after Tech Support took it off one machine by remote access I put it back on. Tech Support has never had a problem helping the Workers with problems when needed with IE8 on our machines so there is no reason to take it off.

              We have workers and patrons with vision problems who come in and can instantly make the changes themselves since it’s so easy to do so with IE8.

              It’s so much better for the user.

              IE 8 is pretty much the 'standard' browser that is used now.  While IE 7 is still available, and updated, there's better functionality, particularly in zooming in when needed for older patrons that have vision problems.  Once you zoom in, it stays zoomed in, you didn't have it quite that way on anything before IE 8.

              Firefox does too, but you have to zoom in page by page for the time being, they have not gotten it fixed the way that IE 8 has.

              That said, there have been miscellaneous reports of some FamilySearch sites not working right in part with IE 8, my experience has been of one technical thing on the Wiki, but that has to do with the PHP that the Wiki uses, and Microsoft or others will eventually fix the issue that caused the problem, or a workaround will be found by the Wiki team, doesn't affect about 90 percent of the users though.

              Tech Support told us that IE 8 is not supported for our machines that's why it happens. Once I did the fix we havn't had any problems.

              Ema

              --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Jshawut" <zionssuburb@...> wrote:

              > Help,
              >
              > After upgrading IE 8 on my desktops, there is now a prompt for the certificate every time the page loads, I have one remaing IE 7 which this isn't happening on. Does anyone know the fix?

            • John M. Shaw
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 19, 2010
                Let me run down what happened and what I figured out:

                Ran the new XP09 image, let sit and cook overnight.
                Everything was working with IE7
                Automatic Updates ran from Microsoft (including IE8)
                After IE8 ran, the portal prompted for the certificate (which existed) and continued to work if selected
                I granted patron administrator privilege and ran the portal certificate update
                validated everything worked after that
                removed patron administrator privilege.

                that was fun

                --
                Regards,

                John Shaw

                “Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God." - Joseph Smith Jr. in a letter to Nancy Rigdon Dated 11 Apr 1842
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 19, 2010

                  While IE8 may not be officially be supported, it seems to work fine in our center.

                  The placement of Chrome sounds like a personal thing.

                  As for canceling Flash updates,  that sounds like the handywork of Deep Freeze - it resets everything back to original condition on each bootup.

                  On Sep 19, 2010 9:52 AM, "James W Anderson" <genealogy248@...> wrote:

                  As to 'IE 8 not authorized', That appears to be the work of the same person who's spreading the rumor that Headquarters didnn't approve IE 8.  However, I have been in situations where HQ computers are, such as at a recent vendor area in a family history conference, and they were using IE 8.  At the Wiki tech meeting we often discuss anything that comes up where someone mentions a problem in this browser or that, and they have IE 8 at headquarters itself, and the FHL too.  So what is the big deal then, sounds like a personal distaste for IE 8 has been pushed out by someone who quite simply has an axe to grind against it, not common sense.

                  The desktop icon was not installed on the desktops on the new 780s in Utah County, Utah because of this rumor.  You have to get it by using the start button menu in XP.  Whoever was doing that here involving IE 8 put Google Chrome in as the default browser.

                  Another thing they did on the Optiplex 780s is force deletion of Flash updates above version 7, you have to update Flash if you want to visit a site that uses Flash every time.  Everything now requires usually over version 8 or 9 (see the 'System Check' module in the eLearning area in the training and resources area in the nFS help center), and nFS requires the current version 10.1 for the large tree feature to work properly, as version 10 integrates Adobe Flex better than version 9 does, which is what they programmed the large tree feature in.

                  It could go back a couple years when IE 8 was released as a beta.  In fact, they are testing IE 9 right now as a beta, and that one would not be desired at this point due to the problems that usually surface during a beta, once it's formally released then IE 9 will become the standard browser most people use on Windows besides any others they choose to use or prefer to use.

                  > Those are the exact reasons I have it on all our machines but when one of the FHC Workers...

                  Home Page: http://fhctech.org/fhc
                  Community email addresses:
                    Post message: fhctech@yahoogroups....

                • James W Anderson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 19, 2010
                    I don't think we're using Deep Freeze, unless whoever set this one Optiplex up did that, I don't see an icon, but will be checking in a couple of hours when we open for the day.  If it isn't a Deep Freeze install, I'll ask again about it as I'll know a little more.

                    How I can tell it's Flash 7, I go to http://www.speedtest.net/ as that will say it needs Flash 8 if it is not installed and updated past that.

                    Had an odd problem with Chrome and the FamilySearch Indexing page, for some odd reason the 'start indexing' link had not been clickable in Chrome, would work in IE 8 though.

                    I'll check that issue as well, see if the new Indexing installer fixed that, could be a Java issue, the new update now points to the Church's instance of Java, not the Sun instance of Java, usually ahead of the Church's instance when it comes to updates, so many of the Java problems indexers have encountered may now be moot.