Our stake FHC has been trying to send a film order via Inventory Manager since Thursday. For some reason, our Cisco ASA firewall won’t allow us to connect to 10.12.215.66 or .67. I have spent hours on the phone with Family History Support and the Global Service Desk. They have tried opening port 3002 on our firewall, but it still doesn’t work. The final answer I got today was, “Call back on Monday when someone who knows how to fix this problem will be working at the Global Service Desk.”
The worst part of this has been trying to get past the church service missionaries who answer the phone. One sister told me to call Distribution Services, because they handle film and fiche orders. I told her no, I needed to talk to a networking specialist, not an order clerk.
The worst one was today. The Elder missionary wanted to know my name and my problem description. I repeatedly told him I already have an open case number, and if he would just open my case, he would see all that information, and whom I have talked to in the past. He just didn’t want to open my case – I think he just wanted to start a new case. Ugh.
After getting past the service missionaries and Family History Support, I got connected to a lowly BYU student at the GSD who didn’t know how to fix the problem. When the FHS guy told him to open port 3002 on our firewall, the GSD guy told him, “We don’t do that here.”
(getting more grey and bald every day)
- Problem solved. I bypassed Family History Support and called the GSD directly. I opened a new GSD ticket, giving my name and stake unit number. Even though I told the tech that this was actually a Family History Center problem, I had to remind her a few times of that fact.
She told me that the ASA firewall I had installed in July was scripted incorrectly, so I had to go through the console cable exercise again. Maybe when we scripted the new firewall in July, I failed to tell the GSD that we had a FHC in this stake center, so they used the wrong script.
It took her several tries to Remote Control into the PC. The LANDesk Remote Control didn't work (wrong server). The ccn.notlong.com also failed until she told me to kill two processes through Task Manager.
She rescripted the firewall, then I rewired everything back the way it should be, and Remoteware connected to the IM server just fine.
Now I can rest ... until I drive to Nauvoo tomorrow for a funeral. Not mine, thankfully.