Landesk Installation

  • Perry E
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010
      Our DELL Optiplex 780 got a virus or worm on it and I ended up having to reinstall the operation system using FHC Desktop Image 5.9. This image does not install LANDESK. How do I download FHC LANDESk?
    • Dana Repouille
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010
        http://remote.familysearch.org/centers.html

        Our DELL Optiplex 780 got a virus or worm on it and I ended up having to
        reinstall the operation system using FHC Desktop Image 5.9. This image does
        not install LANDESK. How do I download FHC LANDESk?
      • Larry Jackson
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010
          And while you are at it, you may wish to look into installing Deep
          Freeze. Then you would just be rebooting instead of reinstalling.

          Larry Jackson

          __

          Dana Repouille wrote:

          > http://remote.familysearch.org/centers.html

        • emaegf
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010
            What is Deep Freeze? I know it's a security program but how is it different than Sofos? I'm a tech at the ward level and the other consultants see this on LANDesk each month and want it on our machines just because the name is cool. Haven't talked to the Stake Tech for permission to install though. Ema

            --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Larry Jackson <lajacksn@...> wrote:

            > And while you are at it, you may wish to look into installing Deep
            > Freeze. Then you would just be rebooting instead of reinstalling.
            >
            > Larry Jackson
            >
            > __
            >
            > Dana Repouille wrote:
            > >
            > > http://remote.familysearch.org/centers.html

          • James W Anderson
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010
              That's odd the 780 would get a virus with Sophos on the prowl as they are from what I've heard the best antivirus software around for a variety of reasons.  Since Blue Coat (the old Cerberian) has a team that actively hunts down and adds spyware spreader pages to its web filtering database, why isn't Salt Lake using that as an additional layer against malware and viruses?  Reviews say it is also far better than anything else for blocking all the known web nasties like spyware, gambling, and porn.

              That said, I have another problem with the 780.  Of all the PCs we have, we're an area FHC for hispanics in Provo, that is the only one that FamilySearch Indexing will not update on.  Even after discovering you have to update in both Administrator  and Patron modes, it still won't update to the latest updates.  Found it came preloaded with a stale version of Flash so I updated that, ran recent Java updates, etc., and still won't work.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010
                On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 7:10 AM, James W Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:

                That's odd the 780 would get a virus with Sophos on the prowl as they are from what I've heard the best antivirus software around for a variety of reasons.

                Sophos, like all anti-virus can only work against KNOWN malware.  Just like a vaccine can only work against a known illness.  Someone has to get sick before there is a cure.  Sucks if you happen to be one of the first.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010
                  Deep Freeze "freezes" the machine. Any changes made are wiped away
                  when the computer is rebooted. It effectually re-images the machine
                  on each boot up. But it also wipes out any data saved to the local
                  drive. Once you install it, you'll have to run a "thaw" routine about
                  once a month to apply updates.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010
                    Won't work for us. The other consultants save their individual files to the desk top, even though everyone has their own folder on the each machine with their name for that purpose, and get mad when I tell them to save to a disk since I clean up the machines each month and delete those files so the machines don't start running slow again. The Director would rather delete our programs than clean up the hard drives when we start getting slow response times.
                    Thanks for the information though. I appreciate it. Ema

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010

                      Deep freeze will cure them of that real quick. <Evil grin>

                      ------------------------------------

                      Home Page: http://fhctech.org/fhc

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010

                        FWIW, I have the security changed such that no one can save anything to the desktop.

                        On Jun 26, 2010 9:04 AM, "emaegf" <emalkire@...> wrote:

                        Won't work for us. The other consultants save their individual files to the desk top, even though everyone has their own folder on the each machine with their name for that purpose, and get mad when I tell them to save to a disk since I clean up the machines each month and delete those files so the machines don't start running slow again. The Director would rather delete our programs than clean up the hard drives when we start getting slow response times.
                        Thanks for the information though. I appreciate it. Ema

                        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:

                        > Deep Freeze "freezes" the...

                        > On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:31 AM, emaegf <emalkire@...> wrote:
                        > > What is Deep Freeze? I know it's...

                        ------------------------------------

                        Home Page: http://fhctech.org/fhc

                      • simonsen
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010
                          I would call Family Search Support and have then walk you though the solution to the indexing problem.
                          You have to completely remove the previous version and then install the indexing.  It is not all that hard but they will help you get through it.  Call 1-866-406-1830.  Tell them you are having an indexing problem and they will walk you through the solution.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010
                            I would like to do that but Director gets mad if they can;t save to the desktop. But she also gets mad if everyone including Patrons doesn't have access to the Administrator files and passwords. She believes if someone goes in and changes everything, changes passwords, or crashes the computers I can drop my entire life and run over in 10 seconds to magiclly solve the problems with snap because she said so, Bishop has talked to her about this to no avail. Last spyware infestation shut down all the computers in the building and took me 60 hours to fix and reinstall everything. Yesterday she had another consultant download a program and he took it upon himself to reinstall our entire security program which I had just checked and updated Wed night. Now I find out the computers have problems again.

                            --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:

                            > FWIW, I have the security changed such that no one can save anything to the
                            > desktop.
                            >
                            > On Jun 26, 2010 9:04 AM, "emaegf" <emalkire@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Won't work for us. The other consultants save their individual files to the
                            > desk top, even though everyone has their own folder on the each machine with
                            > their name for that purpose, and get mad when I tell them to save to a disk
                            > since I clean up the machines each month and delete those files so the
                            > machines don't start running slow again. The Director would rather delete
                            > our programs than clean up the hard drives when we start getting slow
                            > response times.
                            > Thanks for the information though. I appreciate it. Ema
                            >

                            > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Deep Freeze "freezes" the...
                            >
                            > > On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:31 AM, emaegf <emalkire@> wrote:
                            > > > What is Deep Freeze? I know it's...
                            >
                            > ------------------------------------
                            >
                            > Home Page: http://fhctech.org/fhc

                          • Skip Taylor
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010
                              I believe I would be having a meeting with the Director and your Stake President.  You should not have to be doing this much work to keep them running.

                              My 2 cents worth,
                              Skip

                              On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 2:08 PM, emaegf <emalkire@...> wrote:
                              I would like to do that but Director gets mad if they can;t save to the desktop. But she also gets mad if everyone including Patrons doesn't have access to the Administrator files and passwords. She believes if someone goes in and changes everything, changes passwords, or crashes the computers I can drop my entire life and run over in 10 seconds to magiclly solve the problems with snap because she said so, Bishop has talked to her about this to no avail. Last spyware infestation shut down all the computers in the building and took me 60 hours to fix and reinstall everything. Yesterday she had another consultant download a program and he took it upon himself to reinstall our entire security program which I had just checked and updated Wed night. Now I find out the computers have problems again.

                              --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:

                              > FWIW, I have the security changed such that no one can save anything to the
                              > desktop.
                              >
                              > On Jun 26, 2010 9:04 AM, "emaegf" <emalkire@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > Won't work for us. The other consultants save their individual files to the
                              > desk top, even though everyone has their own folder on the each machine with
                              > their name for that purpose, and get mad when I tell them to save to a disk
                              > since I clean up the machines each month and delete those files so the
                              > machines don't start running slow again. The Director would rather delete
                              > our programs than clean up the hard drives when we start getting slow
                              > response times.
                              > Thanks for the information though. I appreciate it. Ema
                              >

                              > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Deep Freeze "freezes" the...
                              >
                              > > On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:31 AM, emaegf <emalkire@> wrote:
                              > > > What is Deep Freeze? I know it's...

                            • Fred Hanselmann
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010
                                I have to agree.

                                There is no way I'd be letting just anyone have access to admin rights on the PCs.

                                Fred

                                On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Skip Taylor <ctrskip@...> wrote:

                                I believe I would be having a meeting with the Director and your Stake President.  You should not have to be doing this much work to keep them running.

                                My 2 cents worth,
                                Skip

                                On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 2:08 PM, emaegf <emalkire@...> wrote:
                                I would like to do that but Director gets mad if they can;t save to the desktop. But she also gets mad if everyone including Patrons doesn't have access to the Administrator files and passwords. She believes if someone goes in and changes everything, changes passwords, or crashes the computers I can drop my entire life and run over in 10 seconds to magiclly solve the problems with snap because she said so, Bishop has talked to her about this to no avail. Last spyware infestation shut down all the computers in the building and took me 60 hours to fix and reinstall everything. Yesterday she had another consultant download a program and he took it upon himself to reinstall our entire security program which I had just checked and updated Wed night. Now I find out the computers have problems again.

                                --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:

                                > FWIW, I have the security changed such that no one can save anything to the
                                > desktop.
                                >
                                > On Jun 26, 2010 9:04 AM, "emaegf" <emalkire@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > Won't work for us. The other consultants save their individual files to the
                                > desk top, even though everyone has their own folder on the each machine with
                                > their name for that purpose, and get mad when I tell them to save to a disk
                                > since I clean up the machines each month and delete those files so the
                                > machines don't start running slow again. The Director would rather delete
                                > our programs than clean up the hard drives when we start getting slow
                                > response times.
                                > Thanks for the information though. I appreciate it. Ema
                                >

                                > --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Deep Freeze "freezes" the...
                                >
                                > > On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:31 AM, emaegf <emalkire@> wrote:
                                > > > What is Deep Freeze? I know it's...

                              • Dan Vester
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010

                                  Deep Freeze can be installed with a ‘thawed’ drive created on the machine that people can save file to that will survive the reboot process.

                                  When I took over as technology specialist 4 years ago, I faced the same situation you face. The machines were down much of the time because people constantly were messing things up. I installed microsoft’s version of deep freeze, but later transitioned to Deep Freeze when the church licensed it for all FHC’s.  Deep Freeze is far superior to the Microsoft product.

                                  When I got objections, I simply told them that this was the way it was going to be. I said this was approved by Salt Lake for installation in all FHC’s, and it would improve operations immensely. I said I wasn’t going to come down and put in 50 hours a month fixing things that patrons or staff had messed up, when this software (Deep Freeze) would totally solve the problem. After a few months, when the saw the vast improvement in  up-time, they grew appreciative of the changes I had made.

                                  Also, in my FHC NO one except myself and one other Stake Technology Specialist has the passwords to Deep Freeze, and he only uses them after he has called me for approval of whatever he thinks needs to be done. He normally handles all of the clerk computers (16) in the Stake, and I handle the FHC computer (13), but we fill in for each other when needed. When my FHC director said he wanted the passwords in case something happened to me, I gave them to him written down on a paper in a sealed envelope, with a seal across the flap so that I could tell if the envelope had been opened and the passwords compromised. We agreed that he would keep the envelope in a file cabinet we both have access to, and that I would check the envelope occasionally, and if I ever saw the seal broken, I would immediately change the passwords and would not give them to him again. This has worked for 4 years and 3 FHC directors.

                                  The director is comfortable knowing he can get the passwords if something happens to me, but he doesn’t actually know what the passwords are. One Director objected, and I simply told him the only reason he needed to actually know the passwords was if he intended to make changes that I didn’t know about. I told him if that was the way things were going to be, he could ether call another technology specialist, or pay my hourly rate of $125 an hour to repair his and other’s mistakes (that’s what I charge my clients in my computer business). He considered his options, and chose to keep the password envelope sealed.

                                  There is a backend password that Salt Lake has that will allow FH support to get into Deep Freeze (that’s true of all FH Deep Freeze installations world wide).

                                  So, Ema, guess you need to decide if you want the software solution that Salt Lake offers and pays for on your behalf, or if you want to allow a director who doesn’t understand the problem to overrule you. You are called to support your director, but you are not required to do it in a way that unreasonably causes you to spend 50 hours fixing problems that could have been prevented by the use of the software. Save yourself countless hours of grief by using Deep Freeze, and simply be firm with the director and tell him/her that this is the new program, and this is the way it is going to be from now on. If the director disagrees, than it’s probably time to visit with your Stake president (your calling is a STAKE calling, so you have e very right to do this) and let him know that one of the two of you needs to be replaced.

                                  I’m 60 years old, and have been maintaining computers since I was 22 (fortran days and ibm punch cards), and when somebody tells me I have to share passwords and let everyone in the world mess up my computers whenever they feel like it, I tell that person to take a hike, and we part company or do it my way. Too much water under the bridge for me to put up with that kind of idiocy.

                                  Dan Vester

                                  __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5230 (20100625) __________

                                  http://www.eset.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010
                                    A few things to remember. First is that neither the Director or the Bishop (or the High Council rep or the Stake President for that matter) own the FHC computers. They are the property of the Church as a whole through the FH department. (I am assuming you are an official FHC) Second, these should be considered public computers. Although I don't have that info available anymore, I believe the FH department has stated that person's personal files should not be stored on the FHC computers, for liability reasons. The Church cannot be responsible if someone's data is lost, and there could be things such as Mother's maiden name or other info that could be used for identity theft, or simply something embarrassing. Perhaps someone here can point us to that policy, which you could use in support of your proposal.

                                    Assuming that you have an official calling to be maintaining those computers I would first go to the Bishop (it appears you are a Ward FHC, but S.P. otherwise), tell him exactly what you have told us regarding the time these problems take you to fix and what you propose to do. Get his approval, but more important, his commitment to support you when the director gets mad. Don't put yourself in an unwinable position. If he is unwilling to support you 100% then he should release you.

                                    If you are doing this out of the kindness of your heart then I would do two things. First, until you get the Bishop's support and and approval to get DeepFreeze installed, get a disk imaging program, then as soon as you have things fixed again, make an image for each machine. When (not if) they screw things up it will be a lot faster to correct the problem, and although they will still loose any personal data it will not be every time the computer reboots. Second, since they seem to persist in fouling their own nest, I would not feel guilty about not snapping to the job. Let them wallow in the mire for longer periods. As an aside, all official FHCs should be running the Sophos suite for security. I don't believe that can be uninstalled without either a password or a special removal tool (at least that was true for the previous Symantec software). You need to eliminate the capability for just anyone to be installing or uninstalling software. That means you need to change the passwords and not even let the director have them. The stake computer specialist should get the copy. Let her get mad. She is a Director, not a dictator and the FHC is not her fifedom. You and the Bishop need to stop being milktoast. IMO, a person who has been "talked to to no avail" probably should be released, but that is a whole different discussion.

                                    BTW, DeepFreeze gets set up with a virtual partition that does NOT get erased on a reboot, that is supposed to be used for TEMPORARY storage. They would simply need to point their files there instead of the desktop.

                                    Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2010 3:46 PM
                                    Subject: Re: [fhctech] Re: Landesk Installation

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 26, 2010
                                      Yes we are an official FHC. I am called at the Ward level requested by the Director because I have the computer skills. When I was asked to accept my calling it was mainly to take care of the computers with some consulting work as needed.
                                      The Director allows many questionable practices many of which puts our official certification in jeopardy as well as the security of all the computers in the building. All the policies we have from SL to our ward internet policy all say personal files off the hard drive before leaving the FHC but no one listens. I have the policies and have used them before but the Director refuses to enforce. If I remind everyone before I do the monthly maintenance, updates and such she says leave them on the computer then complains about slow machines.
                                      She has no interest in talking to the Stake President, Bishop (again), Stake Tech Specialist or me it's her way only or get out of her way. We've been through this before and the Bishop was going to release her but she shaped up for a few months now she is going back to the old way.
                                      I'll install Deep Freeze they want it on the computers anyway. We are running Sophos suite. And go talk with the Bishop again. He knows how long it took the last time I cleaned up the spyware problem.
                                      I've put in too much time and effort to fix the many years of neglect these computers had to just walk away now. Bishop even asked me to accept the calling while I was inactive for more than a decade. I know he trusts me, some of the other FHC Staff do to but most of all Heavenly Father does.
                                      Thank you Gary, Dan, Fred, Skip and all the others who have given me their input. I value it very much.