Re: [fhctech] email hijack

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2010
      Any idea how your email had been hijacked? There seems to be a rash
      of them lately.

      On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 5:48 AM, sherwoodbridges
      <sherwoodbridges@...> wrote:
      > Dear group;
      >
      > My email account was hijacked and everyone in my contact list received the bogus HELP message.
    • Skier
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2010
        On Fri, June 11, 2010 1:35 pm, Russell Hltn wrote:
        > Any idea how your email had been hijacked? There seems to be a rash
        > of them lately.

        Usually spyware/malware that captures the passwords and sends them to
        Russia or China.
      • Larry Jackson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2010
          Sherwood Bridges:

          My email account was hijacked . . .

          __

          Isn't malware fun? And anyone who responded to the e-mail probably has
          it installed on their computer, too.

          Are you running any kind of anti-virus or spybot software that missed
          picking this up, or were you just fortunate enough to get tagged by a
          website that did the honors?

          Or were you even able to figure it out before the cleanup process?

          Larry Jackson
        • Athena W. Blakely
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2010
            One of our members had the same thing happen. It happened to her through
            a spoofing of a Microsoft e-mail asking for verification of her e-mail
            address at hotmail. She clicked on a link in the e-mail and was asked to
            log in to hotmail again so they could verify her e-mail addy as a valid
            e-mail. The e-mail talked about the need to get rid of unused e-mail
            accounts in order to clean up the e-mail servers or some such nonsense.
            The logical thing to think about here is that if you are already logged
            into your account then they obviously know that your account is active
            and valid so why would they need you to go to a link and log in again.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2010
              I would like to ask the others who have been hit whether they recall doing something similar. While we should be confirming all our security is up to par, it would be nice to get this particular hole plugged ASAP.

              Gary
              Gary Templeman
              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T