email hijack

  • sherwoodbridges
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2010
      Dear group;

      My email account was hijacked and everyone in my contact list received the bogus HELP message. It is a sophisticated scam. Not only did they steal my contact list and emails but they redirected my new emails into a phony account. Anyone answering my bogus plea, would be directed to the phony account and they would be instructed to send a specific amount of money to the bad guys account.

      Forunately, my daughter called at 4 am and we were able to cancel the redirect. The nice part of it all was how many were willing to help us in our percieved time of need, which is what the bad guys are counting on.

      Sorry for any problems this may have caused but I thought that you might like to know how the scam works. To be forwarned is to be forarmed.

      Best wishes;
      Sherwood Bridges
      Monroe, Utah
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2010
        Any idea how your email had been hijacked? There seems to be a rash
        of them lately.

        On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 5:48 AM, sherwoodbridges
        <sherwoodbridges@...> wrote:
        > Dear group;
        >
        > My email account was hijacked and everyone in my contact list received the bogus HELP message.
      • Skier
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2010
          On Fri, June 11, 2010 1:35 pm, Russell Hltn wrote:
          > Any idea how your email had been hijacked? There seems to be a rash
          > of them lately.

          Usually spyware/malware that captures the passwords and sends them to
          Russia or China.
        • Larry Jackson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2010
            Sherwood Bridges:

            My email account was hijacked . . .

            __

            Isn't malware fun? And anyone who responded to the e-mail probably has
            it installed on their computer, too.

            Are you running any kind of anti-virus or spybot software that missed
            picking this up, or were you just fortunate enough to get tagged by a
            website that did the honors?

            Or were you even able to figure it out before the cleanup process?

            Larry Jackson
          • Athena W. Blakely
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2010
              One of our members had the same thing happen. It happened to her through
              a spoofing of a Microsoft e-mail asking for verification of her e-mail
              address at hotmail. She clicked on a link in the e-mail and was asked to
              log in to hotmail again so they could verify her e-mail addy as a valid
              e-mail. The e-mail talked about the need to get rid of unused e-mail
              accounts in order to clean up the e-mail servers or some such nonsense.
              The logical thing to think about here is that if you are already logged
              into your account then they obviously know that your account is active
              and valid so why would they need you to go to a link and log in again.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 12, 2010
                I would like to ask the others who have been hit whether they recall doing something similar. While we should be confirming all our security is up to par, it would be nice to get this particular hole plugged ASAP.

                Gary
                Gary Templeman
                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T