Unsecure wireless

  • drepouille
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2010
      I received a message that two FHC computers are connecting to the Internet without going through the firewall VPN. I believe this may be because some FHC computers are connecting to unsecured Wifi signals in the neighborhood of the chapel.

      What is the best way to ensure these computers only connect to the LDSAccess Wifi, rather than grabbing any available Wifi signal?

      Thanks,
      Dana
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2010
        It depends on the client software you're using. You should be able to
        remove all profiles other then the desired one. I don't think it
        should see an open wireless and just grab it without the user's
        permission. (At least there should be a check box that regulates that
        behavior.) The question then becomes, how do you prevent patrons from
        selecting them?

        Do you know what client is managing the wireless for those machines?

        On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 12:23 PM, drepouille <drepouille@...> wrote:
        > I received a message that two FHC computers are connecting to the Internet without going through the firewall VPN. I believe this may be because some FHC computers are connecting to unsecured Wifi signals in the neighborhood of the chapel.
        >
        > What is the best way to ensure these computers only connect to the LDSAccess Wifi, rather than grabbing any available Wifi signal?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dana

      • drepouille
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2010
          I'm pretty sure it's just the Windows wireless that controls the connections. I didn't install the software that came with the Linksys wireless adapter.

          I have noticed a problem with the LDSAccess profile in all the chapels. The computers frequently do not want to make the connection to the LDSAccess profile, even though they know the passcode. This makes it very tempting for clerks and FHC patrons to click an unsecured Wifi in the neighborhood.
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2010
            The simplest way IF it is physically possible is to use a wired connection and disable the wireless card. The way the Church designs meetinghouses I am surprised that anything from outside the building has enough signal strength for a reasonable connection.

            Gary
            Gary Templeman
            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2010
              I know a few clerk's computers I would like to change to a wired connection, but the FM doesn't like fishing cables.

              In the FHC in question, I could run a long cable around the floorboard, but it doesn't look pretty.

              I just hate that the LDSAccess connection drops out so easily, encouraging users to select an unsecured connection.

              Thanks,
              Dana

              --- In fhctech@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Templeman" <gtempleman1@...> wrote:

              > The simplest way IF it is physically possible is to use a wired connection and disable the wireless card. The way the Church designs meetinghouses I am surprised that anything from outside the building has enough signal strength for a reasonable connection.
              >
              > Gary
              > Gary Templeman
              > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            • Michael Bower
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2010
                One possibility without having to run those wires all over the place
                is to use Powerline Ethernet. This allows you to plug an ethernet
                cable into a small box that is plugged into the wall outlet, plug
                another device in another part of the room or building and then plug
                the computer into that. We've done that on occasion when we wanted
                ethernet in the culture hall but didn't want to do it wireless.
                Worked like a charm.

                Michael Bower
                Ashburn Virginia Stake/FHC
              • Skip Taylor
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2010
                  We are fortunate to have members that run cabling for a living (Telephone installers) as well as two whose current or previous job entailed running ethernet cabling.  We asked the FM group if we could run the cabling through the phone conduits and got their permission to do so after checking that local codes allowed such. We purchased cable and "2 outlet" wall plates with blue colored and white colored keystone jacks.  We made white the telephone and blue the Internet.

                  From what I was told, they tied on a "string" then pulled the existing telephone wires out. They then attached the ethernet cable and pulled it all back through and reattached the phone wires and internet connector.

                  To set up Internet in 3 buildings with existing Internet ran about $350 for parts and equipment with us doing the physical labor. That price included 5 port switches to split the signal.

                  This may not work in all buildings though. The FM group should be able to tell you if it's even possible.  Our buildings range from VERY old to about 20 years old.

                  The  Ethernet Over Powerline doesn't work well in commercial buildings from what I was told due to electrically noisy circuits and split phases in their wiring.

                  Just thought I'd recount our experience with wiring as WiFi was not feasible due to wall densities in the buildings.

                   Also, I think there's a setting in the wireless connection (computer end) where you can tell it not to connect to other networks.  Don't remember exactly where that was or the wording, but it only tries the one it knows and none other.  Maybe someone else can tell us more about that.

                  Hope this helps!

                  Skip

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2010
                    On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM, drepouille <drepouille@...> wrote:
                    > I'm pretty sure it's just the Windows wireless that controls the connections. I didn't install the software that came with the Linksys wireless adapter.

                    Then maybe the answer is to install the software that comes with the
                    adapter. A different wireless manager could solve the problem.
                  • Thelmer Smith
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2, 2010
                      The powerline ethernet system works well; the only drawback is that many of our buildings are wired using at least two divisions of the 220 voltage input and they divide the input into both or several parts of the building.

                      If one plugs in on the wrong side of the 220 no signal, or at least a very poor signal will be received on the ethernet.  This can be solved by putting a capacitor between the two legs of the input.  Of course one could move over to the other side of the building.

                      Once you get it set up it works fine and is superior to wireless, in my opinion.

                      Thelmer Smith

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 10, 2010
                          Just duplicated the original message to be sure I'm addresseing the right issue.  Sure have seen a lot of answers to this problem that may have nothing to do with the problem at all.

                          1) Where did you receive the "message" from?  The PCs in question? A person? How did you get your info on this?
                          2) It is a good idea to use the software that comes with the wireless adapter you are using. Microsoft may offer the control you need.
                          3) The reason you FHC PC are bypassing the firewall is because you haven't secured your equipment so that will only recognize each other.  By installing an WEP/WPA encryption code on your wireless access point/router, only those units that sync up to that code can connect to it.  And your PCs should be configured to only recognize that encryption code.
                          4) You can also configure your PCs to seek only your FHC's SSID (wireless ID name).
                          5) Take a portable PC that will connect to your wireless network and use it as a field strengh meter.  Start at the access point transmitter and walk around until the connection fails or becomes unreliable.  That is the limit of your reception.  If you have any equipment beyond that limit, you have a problem.  You may have to relocate the access point to a better location.

                          Why everyone is so excited about running ether over power lines, I don't understand. Your network should run perfectly well using either ethernet cable or wireless (or a combination).  If distance is an issue.  You may have to run a fiber line.  But I can't imagine an FHC needing it, We are talking about miles between equipment.

                          Bottomline; it sounds as though your haven't fully configured your wireless portion of your network.  It some of this is beyond your knowledge level, maybe the Church's Global Services folks can assist.  Good luck

                        • gtempleman1@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 10, 2010

                            Bill

                            Your answer #4 is the only one that actually is related to the original question. Unfortunatley you didn't answer it either. The question is HOW do you configure the computers to ONLY seek the FHC's SSID? I would like the answer to that also.