Re: [fhctech] Optiplex 780 USFF setup tips

  • Skip Taylor
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2010
      The picture guide could be a LOT better than it is. It's pretty confusing. I finally did the install without it.

      On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Dana A. Repouille <drepouille@...> wrote:

      Halfway through the setup of the second 780 for FHCs in my stake, I realized what the extra “Display” cable was for. Not the DVI one. Not the VGA one. The one that looks like a HDMI cable.

      The pictures in the no-language set up instructions confused me. One picture shows the connection of the VGA cable. Another picture shows a picture of the Display cable. The picture tells you to pull off the faceplate from the AIO stand, and pull the Display cable through.

      So I pulled the faceplate off, and saw the other end of the Display cable tucked away. At first, I thought it was connected to the AIO stand, but when I pulled on the black tape at the end of the cable, it came right out of the stand. AHA!!! I then realized I don’t need to use the VGA cable or the DVI cable – just the Display cable! That makes everything so much easier.

      After I connected the Display cable and booted the computer, I had to press the menu button on the display, and force it to use the Display cable interface instead of the VGA interface. It wouldn’t auto-detect. Maybe I wasn’t patient enough.

      On a related note, I have decided it is best to connect the keyboard and mouse to the backside of the monitor, to the USB ports next to the USB port that is connected to the computer. Running the keyboard and mouse cables through the tray in the AIO stand is too much of a bother, and the rear of the computer gets pretty crowded.

      In response to Michael Provard’s questions about the display and the DVD drive, I have not experienced either of those symptoms in the three 780s I have installed.

      Dana in Council Bluffs