RE: [fhctech] Putting PAF 5 File on Access 2002 Database

  • Snow, Donald R.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2010
      The free program GEDxlate will take a GEDCOM file and make it into an MS Access database, an Excel file, a csv file, etc.  So you might try making a GEDCOM from your PAF or other genealogy program database and run GEDxlate on it. Dick Eastman mentioned it in one of his newsletters.  You can get it from

      http://gedmagic.com/GEDxlate.htm .

      Don

      At 04:24 PM 1/11/2010, Hank LuBean wrote:

      There is if you create a gedcom file and import the gedcom file into Access. Gedcoms are text files and almost any program that can read text files can read them.  What you do with the text is a different issue. If you are proficient with Access, you could query the gedcom tags and create various forms or new tables as needed. If you aren¬ít proficient , you have a problem. I have written Excel macros to convert gedcom tags into several different forms but this takes a lot of programming effort.

      The question is, what do you want the information to do? Another one is why do you want to use Access?  PAF is a database program and so are all the other similar programs like Legacy, FamilyTree, etc. they just use a different type of format for their database; some of these can even read PAF database files.

      My 2-cents worth. Hank