Re: [fhctech] Patrons using FHC Computers for private use

  • Perry E Shumway
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010
      Why don't you consider simply posting a notice in some obvious place asking patrons to limit their computer use to family history related functions. I think most user will try to comply with policies established at the center.

      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010
        From the Family History Online Guide:
        http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhcdirector/

        Internet Use Policy:

        "Appropriate Use: The Internet may be used by family history center
        patrons and staff for family history activities. It may also be used
        for other Church or educational purposes where approved by priesthood
        and family history center leadership. These other activities should
        not interfere with family history activities in the center."

        "E-mail and File Attachments: Patrons and staff should not send,
        receive, or review e-mail, or files that are not related to family
        history or other approved Church-related activities."

        Internet Use Policy (sign):

        (in bold) "Users should have no expectation of privacy when accessing
        the Internet using family history center computers."
      • Kevin
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010
          WOW,Thanks every one for your replies, your knowledge is really appreciated. I will pass these comments onto the FHD and as the centre has only one computer it may be advisable for him to speak to his Bishop. Again many thanks for your input.
          Kevin

        • bradbury@acsalaska.net
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
            I asked this question before and I apologize for being repetitive. I knew at the
            time I wouldn't remember the answer so I printed it off BUT that was at home and I
            am now traveling.

            My laptop locked up and when I re-booted it and started entering information into
            PAF I couldn't save it to my flashdrive - said it was a read only device. Please
            remind me what the fix is.

            I believe it was Russell H. who responded last time, as well as others. Hope to
            hear from you soon. I'm in SLC and have lots of work to do!!!

            Thanks.

            Connie
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
              The flash drive may have a switch that sets it to "read only".

              Some flash drives have two drive letters. One read-only letter is
              just to allow you to install a program to securely connect to the
              other drive letter.

              One last possibility is that the file itself is "read only".
              Right-click, proprieties, and uncheck "read only".

              However, I'm guessing this might be a PAF thing because the computer
              crashed while the file was open. Unfortunately I'm not sure what that
              might be.

              Worst comes to worse, flash drives are not that expensive. You can
              even find them at Wal-Mart.

              On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:50 AM, <bradbury@...> wrote:
              > I asked this question before and I apologize for being repetitive.  I knew at the
              > time I wouldn't remember the answer so I printed it off BUT that was at home and I
              > am now traveling.
              >
              > My laptop locked up and when I re-booted it and started entering information into
              > PAF I couldn't save it to my flashdrive - said it was a read only device.  Please
              > remind me what the fix is.
              >
              > I believe it was Russell H. who responded last time, as well as others.  Hope to
              > hear from you soon.  I'm in SLC and have lots of work to do!!!
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Connie

            • Harrison Temple
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
                I always create a folder called "PAFDATA" on the C: drive of my computer, and save my PAF file to that. Then I just copy and paste to move the data to a flash drive. I'm not sure why the flash drive shows up as "Read Only"? Perhaps you could right click on the flash drive, select Properties, then uncheck the "read only" box. Might work?
                HF Temple, FHC director, Bartlesville, OK

                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
                  Thanks for all the help. I got it fixed. This time I'm taping the fix to the
                  bottom of the computer VBG!!!!

                  Connie
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
                    1. What was the fix?
                    2. Another possibility for anyone with a similar problem can be too many files in the root directory. Divide the files into sub-folders.

                    Gary
                    Thanks for all the help. I got it fixed. This time I'm taping the fix to the
                    bottom of the computer VBG!!!!

                    Connie

                  • register
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010

                      I realize Connie has a fix but we have had the same situation at our FHC.  Her is the fix.  This read-only state developed when a patron made a backup on a USB stick and wanted to open the file on our FHC computer.  He did so by clicking on the backup (zip) file on the stick.  PAF opened the file as ‘read only’ .  The Fix--  If he properly loaded PAF and restored his file from the stick then all was well.

                      Eric

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
                        The Family History Center Operations Guide states:

                        Internet access on family history center computers

                        may be used for other Church or educational

                        purposes where approved by priesthood and family

                        history center leadership. These other activities

                        should not interfere with the family history activities

                        in the center.

                        The memo governing FHC Internet Use Policies, dated Jun 25, 2004 states:

                        Appropriate Use

                        ∙ The Internet may be used by family history center patrons and staff
                        for family history activities. It may also be used for other Church or
                        educational purposes where approved by priesthood and family history
                        center leadership.  These other activities should not interfere with
                        family history activities in the center.

                        ∙ Patrons or staff who are found accessing inappropriate sites will
                        have their family history center privileges suspended.  Before they can be
                        readmitted to the center, Church members must receive clearance from
                        their local priesthood leaders, and nonmembers must receive clearance
                        from the bishop or branch president in their area.

                        E-mail and File Attachments,

                        Patrons and staff should not send, receive, or review e-mail, or files that are not related to family history or other approved Church-related activities. - 6/04/2005

                        I am not in a position to say do or don't do, only the General Authority in charge of the Family History Centers can do that.  Everyone else only has opinions.  I agree with those who feel that so long as the Center is not being abused, that I wouldn't push it too far.  I bring these up to provide your director with some ammunition when needs to control usage of your Center.  So, there it is in black and white (or electrons, or whatever).  Ultimately, your director has to determine how his Center is to be governed.

                        Bill H.  Santa Clara FHC

                        WOW,Thanks every one for your replies, your knowledge is really appreciated. I will pass these comments onto the FHD and as the centre has only one computer it may be advisable for him to speak to his Bishop. Again many thanks for your input.
                        Kevin

                        --- In fhctech@yahoogroups .com, Russell Hltn <RussellHltn@ ...> wrote:

                        > From the Family History Online Guide:
                        > http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhcdirector/
                        >
                        > Internet Use Policy:
                        >
                        > "Appropriate Use: The Internet may be used by family history center
                        > patrons and staff for family history activities. It may also be used
                        > for other Church or educational purposes where approved by priesthood
                        > and family history center leadership. These other activities should
                        > not interfere with family history activities in the center."
                        >
                        > "E-mail and File Attachments: Patrons and staff should not send,
                        > receive, or review e-mail, or files that are not related to family
                        > history or other approved Church-related activities."
                        >
                        > Internet Use Policy (sign):
                        >
                        > (in bold) "Users should have no expectation of privacy when accessing
                        > the Internet using family history center computers."

                      • Dana A. Repouille
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
                          That is very interesting to me. Usually, the only people who would use a
                          folder such as C:\PAFDATA these days are those who are familiar and
                          comfortable with MS-DOS. Since Windows 95, the preferred location is "My
                          Documents" or (with Vista and Windows 7) just "Documents".

                          Placing all user data files in a common location makes it easier to locate
                          them, and to copy them to a backup location. Before I wipe a customer's hard
                          drive, I search every typical storage location I can think of for his data
                          files, so I can copy them to a safe place. It amazes me to find user data
                          files in the strangest places. (It also frustrates me when programs store
                          data files somewhere under "Program Files.")

                          I am not criticizing your personal choice. I'm just making an observation.

                          Dana in Omaha

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
                            Gee, that sounds eerily like what Joseph Smith told us to do... namely,
                            teach the members of the church correct principles and let them govern
                            themselves.

                            Dan Vester

                            database 4747 (20100106) __________

                            http://www.eset.com