Patrons using FHC Computers for private use

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010
      I have been asked by a FHC Director "is there a way that we can block sites such as banking sites where patrons who use the FHC to do nFS then do therer banking on line?" This centre only has members attending. I would appreciate some advice as to what can be done.
      Many Thanks
      Kevin Brown
      (Victoria,Australia)
    • Dana A. Repouille
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010
        See
        http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=956

        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010
          Re:Patrons using FHC Computers for private use

          Hi Kevin!

          The only thing I can come up with is to add the bank website(s) to the list of blocked sites in your Internet Explorer or other browser.

          Susan Rathburn

          Shoreline, Washington

        • register
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010

            I see several responders have suggested solutions.  I have only a question.  Why should I/we care?  It may not be in direct keeping with our purpose but it can do not harm and if it gets members to come to the FHC or to stay a little longer and if there is a machine available I would welcome them doing such a thing as checking their banking.

            They are even welcome to drop in to use the restroom.  Or the telephone, or check their email.

            EricVictoria FHC,

            I have been asked by a FHC Director "is there a way that we can block sites such as banking sites where patrons who use the FHC to do nFS then do therer banking on line?" This centre only has members attending. I would appreciate some advice as to what can be done.
            Many Thanks
            Kevin Brown
            (Victoria,Australia )

          • Joseph Irvine
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010
              Hello,

              I would tend to agree. I have been guilty of the same on occasion. As long as they aren't preventing others from accomplishing things I don't see the harm, as long as they are staying out of inappropriate material. If there weren't sufficient computers, obviously, you might want to subtly ask them if they could allow another patron to use the computer.

              Just being there will hopefully allow them to partake of the spirit. I think it is sort of like inviting non-members to church activities. There is a cost involved for food, etc., and they may never have any interest. We are supposed to be Christ-like and I think that includes sharing the Internet for appropriate purposes if it isn't infringing on the goals of the center. After a while they may observe what others are doing and become more interested.

              Thanks,
              Joseph Irvine

            • gtempleman1@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010

                While my personal bias is that I would agree that such use is innocuous, the guidelines I remember from Salt Lake is that the Internet connection (that THEY pay for BTW) is only to by used for Family History related purposes. It does become a slippery slope, even when the site is not inappropriate per se.

                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010
                  On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 7:44 AM, <gtempleman1@...> wrote:

                  It does become a slippery slope, even when the site is not inappropriate per se.

                  I agree what the others have said.  However, I'd also be concerned that if this is not dealt with, that some members will think they are entitled to use the computers their way.  You'll then have to deal with "we've always done that".

                  I'd also suggest there is no right to privacy on a FHC machine.  Doing on-line banking in a library is a real bad idea and the Church is not responsible if anything should happen.
                • Dan Vester
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010

                    Be happy you have the problem, and look at it as an opportunity… make lemonade out of the lemons you’ve been given. What would the savior do, drive them away? Are these moneychangers hawking their wares? No. Should missionaries who are writing emails home to their mothers weekly be banned from the FHC because they are doing personal business?

                    The center is supposed to be behind a church supplied PIX/ASA firewall, where Salt Lake decides what sites to block. If Salt Lake has not blocked banking sites, why should your FHC director care?

                    All questions to ponder.

                    Again, be happy you have the problem. I have supervised directly or indirectly 3 family history centers in the past 30 years, and it sad to see the computers sit idle hour after hour. Your negative response to this ‘opportunity’ could turn your library into a very quiet, lonely place. I speak from experience. Through some unfortunate circumstances and actions by well meaning staff, I’ve witnessed family history centers go from many staff members and patrons to practically no staff and many empty hours. My suggestion is to leave it alone, unless, as others have stated, it is blocking patrons from using the computers… and if that is truly the problem, then your FHC director is worrying about the wrong thing, asking the wrong questions, as so aptly put by one of our general authorities recently. In a situation where you have patrons standing in line, the FHC director should be spending his time seeking more computers and space, not chasing people away.

                    IMHO

                    Dan Vester, STS

                    Prescott Arizona FHC

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010
                      Salt Lake may have changed their approach to this problem, but a couple
                      of years back, we got a letter from SL to the bishop informing him that
                      our computers were being used to access inappropriate sites and would he
                      please handle the situation. We were given times and dates when these
                      happened and were able to determine that the missionaries were the
                      problem. Since then the missionaries don't have the patron password. The
                      observation is that SL did not block the sites, simply asked the bishop
                      to eliminate the inappropriate use.
                      Jan

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010
                        On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Dan Vester <dvester@...> wrote:

                        The center is supposed to be behind a church supplied PIX/ASA firewall, where Salt Lake decides what sites to block. If Salt Lake has not blocked banking sites, why should your FHC director care?

                        The level of filtering may not reflect policy.  Besides, the church subscribes to a commercial vendor and it may not provide that detail of control.

                        I have to run off to a meeting, what what does the Internet Use Policy published by SLC say?
                      • annec12345@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010
                          I was FHC director for about 8 years and am still a FHC staff member.  When I was director, I often spent 15, sometimes 20 hours a week at the FHC.  On the FHC computers, I checked my personal email, answered emails,sometimes researched personal things, and often prepared a Sunday School Lesson while manning the center.  We had no patrons at the time and I was simply passing and using time that would have been wasted otherwise.  If we deny FHC staff member use of the computers for personal use, we might have even more trouble getting people to staff the centers...Oh recently a missionary came in to correspond with her Mission President at the FHC.  None of this was directly related to Family History but was either harmless or supportive of other church programs.  This is my input, Thanks Anne Cutcher
                        • Perry E Shumway
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010
                            Why don't you consider simply posting a notice in some obvious place asking patrons to limit their computer use to family history related functions. I think most user will try to comply with policies established at the center.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010
                              From the Family History Online Guide:
                              http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhcdirector/

                              Internet Use Policy:

                              "Appropriate Use: The Internet may be used by family history center
                              patrons and staff for family history activities. It may also be used
                              for other Church or educational purposes where approved by priesthood
                              and family history center leadership. These other activities should
                              not interfere with family history activities in the center."

                              "E-mail and File Attachments: Patrons and staff should not send,
                              receive, or review e-mail, or files that are not related to family
                              history or other approved Church-related activities."

                              Internet Use Policy (sign):

                              (in bold) "Users should have no expectation of privacy when accessing
                              the Internet using family history center computers."
                            • Kevin
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 5, 2010
                                WOW,Thanks every one for your replies, your knowledge is really appreciated. I will pass these comments onto the FHD and as the centre has only one computer it may be advisable for him to speak to his Bishop. Again many thanks for your input.
                                Kevin

                              • bradbury@acsalaska.net
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
                                  I asked this question before and I apologize for being repetitive. I knew at the
                                  time I wouldn't remember the answer so I printed it off BUT that was at home and I
                                  am now traveling.

                                  My laptop locked up and when I re-booted it and started entering information into
                                  PAF I couldn't save it to my flashdrive - said it was a read only device. Please
                                  remind me what the fix is.

                                  I believe it was Russell H. who responded last time, as well as others. Hope to
                                  hear from you soon. I'm in SLC and have lots of work to do!!!

                                  Thanks.

                                  Connie
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
                                    The flash drive may have a switch that sets it to "read only".

                                    Some flash drives have two drive letters. One read-only letter is
                                    just to allow you to install a program to securely connect to the
                                    other drive letter.

                                    One last possibility is that the file itself is "read only".
                                    Right-click, proprieties, and uncheck "read only".

                                    However, I'm guessing this might be a PAF thing because the computer
                                    crashed while the file was open. Unfortunately I'm not sure what that
                                    might be.

                                    Worst comes to worse, flash drives are not that expensive. You can
                                    even find them at Wal-Mart.

                                    On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:50 AM, <bradbury@...> wrote:
                                    > I asked this question before and I apologize for being repetitive.  I knew at the
                                    > time I wouldn't remember the answer so I printed it off BUT that was at home and I
                                    > am now traveling.
                                    >
                                    > My laptop locked up and when I re-booted it and started entering information into
                                    > PAF I couldn't save it to my flashdrive - said it was a read only device.  Please
                                    > remind me what the fix is.
                                    >
                                    > I believe it was Russell H. who responded last time, as well as others.  Hope to
                                    > hear from you soon.  I'm in SLC and have lots of work to do!!!
                                    >
                                    > Thanks.
                                    >
                                    > Connie

                                  • Harrison Temple
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
                                      I always create a folder called "PAFDATA" on the C: drive of my computer, and save my PAF file to that. Then I just copy and paste to move the data to a flash drive. I'm not sure why the flash drive shows up as "Read Only"? Perhaps you could right click on the flash drive, select Properties, then uncheck the "read only" box. Might work?
                                      HF Temple, FHC director, Bartlesville, OK

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
                                        Thanks for all the help. I got it fixed. This time I'm taping the fix to the
                                        bottom of the computer VBG!!!!

                                        Connie
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
                                          1. What was the fix?
                                          2. Another possibility for anyone with a similar problem can be too many files in the root directory. Divide the files into sub-folders.

                                          Gary

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010

                                            I realize Connie has a fix but we have had the same situation at our FHC.  Her is the fix.  This read-only state developed when a patron made a backup on a USB stick and wanted to open the file on our FHC computer.  He did so by clicking on the backup (zip) file on the stick.  PAF opened the file as ‘read only’ .  The Fix--  If he properly loaded PAF and restored his file from the stick then all was well.

                                            Eric

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
                                              The Family History Center Operations Guide states:

                                              Internet access on family history center computers

                                              may be used for other Church or educational

                                              purposes where approved by priesthood and family

                                              history center leadership. These other activities

                                              should not interfere with the family history activities

                                              in the center.

                                              The memo governing FHC Internet Use Policies, dated Jun 25, 2004 states:

                                              Appropriate Use

                                              ∙ The Internet may be used by family history center patrons and staff
                                              for family history activities. It may also be used for other Church or
                                              educational purposes where approved by priesthood and family history
                                              center leadership.  These other activities should not interfere with
                                              family history activities in the center.

                                              ∙ Patrons or staff who are found accessing inappropriate sites will
                                              have their family history center privileges suspended.  Before they can be
                                              readmitted to the center, Church members must receive clearance from
                                              their local priesthood leaders, and nonmembers must receive clearance
                                              from the bishop or branch president in their area.

                                              E-mail and File Attachments,

                                              Patrons and staff should not send, receive, or review e-mail, or files that are not related to family history or other approved Church-related activities. - 6/04/2005

                                              I am not in a position to say do or don't do, only the General Authority in charge of the Family History Centers can do that.  Everyone else only has opinions.  I agree with those who feel that so long as the Center is not being abused, that I wouldn't push it too far.  I bring these up to provide your director with some ammunition when needs to control usage of your Center.  So, there it is in black and white (or electrons, or whatever).  Ultimately, your director has to determine how his Center is to be governed.

                                              Bill H.  Santa Clara FHC

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
                                                That is very interesting to me. Usually, the only people who would use a
                                                folder such as C:\PAFDATA these days are those who are familiar and
                                                comfortable with MS-DOS. Since Windows 95, the preferred location is "My
                                                Documents" or (with Vista and Windows 7) just "Documents".

                                                Placing all user data files in a common location makes it easier to locate
                                                them, and to copy them to a backup location. Before I wipe a customer's hard
                                                drive, I search every typical storage location I can think of for his data
                                                files, so I can copy them to a safe place. It amazes me to find user data
                                                files in the strangest places. (It also frustrates me when programs store
                                                data files somewhere under "Program Files.")

                                                I am not criticizing your personal choice. I'm just making an observation.

                                                Dana in Omaha

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jan 6, 2010
                                                  Gee, that sounds eerily like what Joseph Smith told us to do... namely,
                                                  teach the members of the church correct principles and let them govern
                                                  themselves.

                                                  Dan Vester

                                                  database 4747 (20100106) __________

                                                  http://www.eset.com